View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dileggi
Thanks for the input seans tank. It's one of those things that you never notice on anyone's else's tank but your own! LOL! I was starting to think I was running my lights too much...albeit only 12 hours per day, so it's not excessive.

I'll just keep the mag and sponge handy to clean the algae off every night!

Thanks again!
the key to ridding the algae is flow and limiting its food---phosphates and nitrates.

Check your feeding habits
feed less but more often if you feel the need
rinse off all frozen food with r/o water before using
cut back on phyto if you are using it--that's what that algae is--everytime you scape it off the spores go back into the water column

the flow rate in the tank should be 20-40 times its volume. Make sure all corners of the tank and the substrate are receiving flow---this puts the detrius back into the water column where it can be filtered off.

try not cleaning it off for a number of days-----I know this is a hard one because I get flack from everybody when I do it
But that algae on the glass is consuming phosphates and nitrates--if you check how they are getting in the tank and limit that then the algae will start to run out of a food source quicker by letting it grow a little longer before you scrape