View Single Post
Old 09/12/2003, 11:20 AM
Bogus Information Expert

luv_my_ocean

To Reef Central

Hi Sabrina

Sounds like you're going to be one popular person at a frag swap meet.

I assume you saying your new tank is overgrown with corals. There are quite a few new reefers out there that would envious to be in your shoes. Although coral is an animal it can be pruned. The problem I have with giving you a lot of advise is different corals require different techniques. Not knowing exactly what you have in the tank makes it hard to answer your question over the net.

I'm not sure where you live in Idaho but there is a reef club in Boise--

Boise Reef club

Splitting corals (fragging) is somewhat of an art and it is always nice to have someone show you the techniques first hand rather than talk you through it. If the club is near you I am sure someone will be glad to help (I imagine a small fee of some of your frags will draw more than one volunteer ). I reposted you thread at their club site.

It just so happens there is a--
Coral Propagation and Aquaculture Forum
On RC. There are many posts about fragging various corals on that forum.

Also we have Eric Borneman , a well know coral expert, hosting the coral forum. Coral Forum

You're probably going to need to do a bit of reading and studying to figure out what corals you are acquiring. You'll need to know that before the pruning begins. Perhaps the person selling the tank can speed things up by "walking" you through the tank and identifying the species.

Once again--welcome to RC and we all hope you have a successful reef experience.

Yikes!!! I just got water and salt mix into the new tank and we're already fraggin corals. How that's what I call a cycle!!

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 09/12/2003 at 11:25 AM.