View Single Post
Old 06/16/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Patience man , Patience .

I just started up a tank that has been dormant for 2 years after a crash . All I did was add TAP WATER for topoff . Needless to say I had a nutrient soup instead of water . I did a 50% water change at first , then replaced the return pump that had blowed up and caused the crash . Then added my lights . BIG alge problem after about 2 weeks . I mean you couldn't see rocks because of the hair algae . I ended up scrubbing the rocks off and added a light cleanup crew and a clump of grape caulerpa to compete with the nuisance algae . Waterchanges at 20% (with RO water) once a month . I kept pruning back the caulerpa once a week and the HA began to die off . After the HA left me cyano followed . I was cleaning the sand once a week . I am talking about a thick mat of cyano all over the sand and on some of the live rock . I stand today with no HA and only a little divot of cyano left . The cleanup crew is cleaning up whats left. I really believe in adding some fast growing macro algae to compete for nutrients . It will shorten the life of the nuisance algae . Just keep pruning it back and you will be good to go .

Good Luck ! You can beat it !

Returning from a 2 yr hiatus . . .