View Single Post
Old 04/04/2003, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Yes I have used garlic with great success on c. irritans but it seems to be too slow to save anything suffering from Brook or oodinium.
Personally I use freshly crushed and very finely chopped garlic mixed with the food rather than the prepared products.
The most important active ingredient in garlic is produced by the plant in response to damage to its flesh and dissipated rapidly thus freshly chopped garlic seems to be the best route of delivery.

I know that some people if not most are reluctant to use copper but if you have enough invested in your display it becomes the only reasonable choice. Asuming that we all quarantine (which of course is not true), garlic can be used, but I can't take any chances and copper has proven to be safe when done properly. The only species that I have had real trouble with copper treatment is Moorish Idols. They turn off like a light switch within moments of being in a copper treated tank.
I can remember a time when shipments of fish were free of parasites but for the past few years, I have not recieved one that wasn't infested. We don't leave treatment up to our customers, but rather treat them completely before they are sold. All fish are quarantined for at least 40 days before sale and are certified free of parasites. This costs money but it is invaluable for people that do not have the facillities or patience to treat and quarantine their fish.