View Single Post
Old 04/20/2003, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: survey

Quote:
Originally posted by Seafan
The following is is a list of questions/topics about this fish species. If you would like to include them in your reply, click on the last icon of this post (Reply with Quote), and remove the [ QUOTE ] [ B ] tag in the beginning and the
at the end.

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where? Bought at LPS
Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get? N/A It was the only one to puick from but his colors were beautiful
Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species? Don't know
Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish? I don't know but from reading up on iy I understand you can not tell the difference

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?Same as any other
Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimens? They do not like bright light
Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank? N/A

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank? Hermits, conchs, BTA, LTA, cucumber. Reef
Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school? No
Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank? No
What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you? n/a
Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)? I tried to keep a hippo tang with it but the lion would push the hippo into hiding ...defending territory I think
Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)? No
Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)? Not sure. Missing a mithrix crab and a serpent star but not sure if the lion is at fault.

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first? wiggling Krill on a feeding stick
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? wiggling krill on a clear acrylic feeding stick and making sure that the krill had "eyes" intact for the lion to see
What’s the diet? Krill, scallops, squid
How much and how often do you feed? Every 3 days
How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc) Very active ! Gets very excited when I walk to the tank and if it sees the feeding stick it goes crazy

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)? 7" to 8" now 5" when purchased
What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? 72 gal bow. This is the minimum that I would keep this fish in. I feel they belong in a 180 + at full size
If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? No change
How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? 2 years and still with me
What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?I am not sure of the age but I have read they can reach 18"

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment? Shortly after I got this fish he had ich. I soaked krill in freshly crushed garlic and that cured it. I continued this type of feeding for months because the lion wouldn't eat the krill with out the garlic. I had to slowly wean it off

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? Gets extremely dark if disturbed too much
How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? Not shy at all. Very curious.
How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? No other tank mates because it seemed territorial when I tried to keep others.
Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? No
How does this fish sleep? In a verticle position
Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? no
How does this fish interact with human? Very curious..right in your face as you look into the tank
Any other interesting observation of this fish? Not sure why it does this but every night when the lights go to just actinic it will go to the far corner of the tank and spit water out. Just one spit each night but enough so I hear it. I had to sit and watch this everynight for awhile ...still can't figure out why it does it

REPRODUCTION
If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?n/a
Any information of spawning in captivity? n/a

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?

2- quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3- not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes

Would you recommend this fish to beginners? Not really. First because of the caution that need to be taken as not to get poked by it's spines, Mostly because I think too many feed the fish fresh water live foods which is not it's natural diet. (which is what most LPS will tell you to do which is wrong)
Any other recommendations/comments?

If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!