View Single Post
Old 12/12/2003, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

I got a yellow tang two days ago. At the LFS he was a new arrival, and some of the other tangs in the tank with him had some red splotches, as described in this thread, though mine didn't have any.

I bought him anyway, almost viewing it as a challenge to see if I could give him a good home. After I had him in QT tank for 24hrs, he's repeatedly scratching his sides & belly on the sand. I almost expected this, so I decide to treat him with hyposalinity.

Over 24 hrs I lowering the SG from 1.020 to 1.015 . Next night when I come home, he's still eating, swimming, etc, except now I see some tiny specs on his body - lots of them. They are either black or dark red, I can't get close enough to tell.

I'm not sure if I induced this with too rapid a water change or what, I'm going to proceed with hypo, and try to monitor things.

I called the LFS. The best they could do - no laughing now - is maybe he was repeatedly hit with the dagger on the other tangs' tails, and now I'm seeing little "scabs". Uhhh...I don't think so.

Does anyone know what black or dark red specs could be?
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)