View Single Post
Old 05/17/2004, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scbauer
P.S. - any pics of the sump/lighting/plumbing/skimmer/etc...???

-Scott
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Wow!:
I would love to see pictures and learn details of the plumbing, filtration, and lighting.
Quote:
Originally posted by gig
killer!!!!

Need fishroom pics!!!!!
Yes, I will post some pictures of the support systems as soon as I get an opportunity to take some more pictures.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantis
Very impressive.
Who built the tank? You said it was Starphire. It must be a laminated piece. Are you happy with how it has stood the test of time? Does the lamination process effect the clarity at all?

I would also love to see some behind the scene pics.
Paid a professional to assemble the tank on site (it's amazing to see someone balancing hundreds of pounds of glass).
Have some pictures kicking around somewhere of the assembly and contruction process and will try to find, scan and post them if there is interest.

No, the starfire isn't laminated. Had some problems finding a piece that was 3/4" thick x 120"l x 36" h.
The pieces that were being produced by the factory (believe it was PPG) all had flaws. Finally found an unflawed piece in a distributors warehouse and paid to have it shiiped across the continent.

Quote:
Originally posted by keegan

Cool stuff!!

How is the maintanence schedule?

Keegan
Reef appears to be in balance so maintenance is very limited. In fact, weeks can go by without any maintenance intervention at all.
(I know that this goes against the grain of prevailing opinion - but I believe that sticking one's hands into a tank often creates more problems than it solves) and this approach seems to work for me...

QUOTE]Originally posted by yoink326
NICE BAR!!!!! [/QUOTE]
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
WOW!!!!! Now that is a true beauty!!! Is that your home too?
Yes that is part of the basement in my home.

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUAB
Do you have the tank built at the same time you built your house, or did you do it afterwards???? And do you have any humidity problems; mold/moisture build-up; with the tank being that large??? It's awesome!!!!!
No, the tank went in well after the home was built. It involved 7 men carrying in individual panes of glass (using industrial suction cups).
In order to take in the glass and stand (which was fabricated in 2 sections and boled together in place) into the basement, we had to remove the spindles and handrails on the circular oak staircase leading into the basement (when my wife realized what we were doing, she took 2 headache pills and then went out for a very long walk....)
As the whole house in well air-conditioned, the air conditioning seems to take care of the humidity in summer (it also helps to keep the temperature in check).
Have only noticed what I would characterize as a reasonably minor humidity problem in winter (have large central humidifiers that seem to have little to do).
Must admit, however, that I have at times considered isolating the tank areas from the rest of the house using, a heat exchange system, for example (like the idea, in theory, but the problem, such as it is, doesn't seem to warrent this sort of expense).

Thanks to all for your many compliments.