Thread: Brook time
View Single Post
Old 10/10/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I recently had a problem with our clownfish. From the book we had we figured we had brook. The male clown's top 1st fin was down, he was breathing hard, and got a white film on his body. My husband did a 30 sec freshwater dip and this seemed to help a little bit, after the dip he got his appetite back and his fin came up a bit. The next day the male started looking the same as he did before and the female started to look like she had a film on her body. So we caught them both and did a 15 min saltwater dip like our book said. I watched them while the dip occured, just incase I needed to rescue them immediatly. When we put the two in the container the male just rested on the bottom breathing hard, I occasionally tried to get him swimming about a little. The female was swimming and wiggling like normal. After about 3 minutes the male started to swim and wiggle like the female, so he was starting to feel better. Then after about 5 or 6 minutes I noticed little white spots appear on both fish. I looked like they were covered in microbubbles or ich. After 11 minutes they has all fallen off the female and after 14 minutes they had fallen off the male. Today they are swimming and eating, looking much better. One side note, neither fish started scratching that we could tell and they stayed in the middle column of the tank and never swam to the bottom or at the top to try to get more oxygen. What do you think we had? If we need to we will continue to do freshwater dips. How long will it stay in the system? Will we ever be rid of it. We did loose an adult male Banggai Cardinal we think to this. We had recently purchased two signal spot gobies from a pet store and we believe they introduced this to our tank.

Rian