View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 09:37 PM
Slowly growing gills.

I would like to point out my own rather uniqe attitude about many of the enviro-laws that have become so popular nowadays.

(Not that all of them are law, just the supporters desire them to be law.)

Imagine if you will a group of young people becoming adults during the sixties.

If they attended college, they were exposed to, if not involved with, the 'counterculture' (which is just a blanket term for people trying to determine their own path in the middle of an already well developed society).

If they did not attend college the likelihood was great that they were involved in the Vietnam war or had to become civil disobedients (and thus become part of the counterculture.)

This is not an absolute, but the general idea is that the people who wanted to create a new society were largely either well educated or criminals.

The criminals are a rather negligible part of this situation, but do serve to encourage radicalism on the part of their better educated peers.

Those who attended college found that they could engage in the government they sought to change and were largely succesful in their endeavors to create the sorts of changes they found to be most important. In a word, they experienced power.

Funny thing about power is that it almost always manages to corrupt.

First, those educated men and women found that they were able to effect change, soon they enjoyed the feeling of power they experienced when they gained public support.

Eventually, those educated individuals started to enjoy great sucess in their efforts to creat the brave new world they desired.

They did not win every fight, and started to develop fragmented groups that would sometimes be at odds with one another.

But these were well educated people. They found a comfortable place int he world they lived in.

Eventually, they found they had won almost all the fights they sought to engage in. Thats when things get wierd.

They started fighting for the sake of fighting. They would spend less time on creating realistic solutions and more time focusing on the next battle. They were becoming consumed by their own power.

By putting a pretty face on any topic they chose to engage in, they soon realized they could "sell icemakers to eskimos" and seem like they were being helpful. Victory became more important than the cause.

And that is where our society is at right now. Those young men and women are grown into their fifties. They run our nations companies and are the leaders in our government.

They started off to make the world a better place.

Now they just like to fight.

The cause has become unimportant.

Its all about power.

They like telling people what to do.

"Its for their best interests" they would say.

"We are trying to save the (fill in the blank)"

But its really about power.

And they are well educated and have decades of experience.

Sorry to be so long winded.