View Single Post
Old 12/30/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

If the reefs are going to be defunct in the next 20-30 years from CO2 emissions, then stopping use of artificial lighting will do nothing to stop this. I mean, come on, the impact on the world's entire production of our tiny hobby is incredibly insignificant. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be eco-minded and conserve, but I don't think using greenhouses to grow corals is going to save the reefs. Most people don't have access to enough natural sunlight to run a light-demanding reef tank. If the reefs are truly going to be gone in that time span, then we should actually do the opposite. We should scale up caring for as many corals and focusing on propagation as much as possible. This would mean using more energy. It would also mean that we should be taking more corals out of natural reefs. If they are going to be gone soon anyway, it does no good to keep them there. If we have enough captive propagation going on while the natural reefs die off, perhaps we will be able to reseed the the oceans when the world finally gets a handle on things (if that ever happens). This is of course all assuming that the situation is as dire as some people believe. The best thing would be for corals to thrive in their natural environment. But if this is impossible, then it may very well be our hobby that manages to protect certain species from extinction.