Thread: sick clown
View Single Post
Old 07/03/2005, 09:47 AM
Send me email with ?

What goes in; comes out.

I would suggest the following:
1. Change the diet. Clownfish are omnivores. They need about 40% vegetables in their diet. The foods you feed are all protein-animal sources for carnivores. Add seaweed; feed spirulina and herbivore diets that contain some krill, fish meal, etc. For more feeding info, see the middle of this thread: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=606527

2. Selcon is a fat source. It contains only a few vitamins. Cyclop-eze is the same concept --- it is an enriched fat source pod. So, you're 'doubling up' on serving your specimens on fat. I also suggest you look into using a vitamin to soak their food. Either use Selcon or Cyclop-eze, not both at the same time, and then, use either one only every 3 or 4 feedings.

3. I figure the best feeding schedule is 3 times a day. In the wild they eat continuously, so more frequent feedings is the best for them. If you can manage 3, give that a try. At least go to twice a day.

4. Treat the fish for intestinal worms. Worm infestation is very contagious. Most wild-caught fish have it. Choose an appropriate medication and begin using it immediately. Medications containing piperazine and that group of chemicals are useful for this. Some are available to add to their foods at feeding times (another good reason to increase the number of feedings).

5. Although the ant-iparasite food would help, I still wouldn't rely on it alone. I would recommend using a medication to add to the proper foods (item 1. above). I think of the product you originally posted a link to, more as a preventative than a cure.

I hope this helps and I hope you take the above suggestions as just that. . .suggestions, not criticisms.

Good luck!