View Single Post
Old 12/23/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

JCPatella's 90g Reef Build

Hey! After months of searching online and locally, my wife and I finally found the tank we were looking for – a 90g! Actually, that’s not true. I wanted a 75g and my wife wanted a 120g. Seeing as how I primarily take care of the tank, I didn’t want to bite off more than I could chew…

Anyway, we came across this 90g/stand/canopy in the paper. It was only used for three months and is in almost perfect condition! For $350, we couldn’t pass it up. This setup could have sold for over $1000. At first, I was a bit worried about the depth, but I think/hope my lighting should be sufficient (more on that later).

After an hour and a half of driving (each way) to pick it up, we were pretty tired. Needless to say, not tired enough to fill it up and test for leaks! Oh, and the dog on the left (jumping on my wife) is Drake – my avatar! The other little guy is Baxter – we were dogsitting him.

Of course, water-testing a tank is not very eventful, so we had time for one more:

The tank has a nice chunk of glass as the cross bar, but it doesn’t seem to block much light. We’ll see in time.

Oh, and excuse the mess – we weren’t planning on having ReefCentral in our kitchen that day.

I have a 2 x 54w T5 retro kit sitting on top of the tank. The canopy is hanging out somewhere else - I just wanted to see the tank with some kind of light on it! I got that kit back in August when I first set up the 55g that this tank is replacing. That retro kit was replaced by a 4 x 54w fixture. I plan on using both on this 90g (6 x 54w).

Well, there is more to come, but I’ll leave it at this for now. I'm a picture-loving kind of guy, so there will be plenty of those along the way. By my guess, the demographics of ReefCentral calls for pictures of the wife. There must be a good [picture of a girl] to [post] ratio!! Here's one for good luck:

That's my crazy wife. I hope this thread turns out as fun as I’m expecting!

-Josh

Last edited by jcpatella; 12/23/2007 at 11:36 PM.