View Single Post
Old 06/24/2005, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Sanjay- First, I'd just like to say thanks for all the time and effort you've put into the testing of all the MH reef lighting you have documented over the years. I know it serves as a very important knowledge base for anyone interested in trying to create an optimal reef environment.

I heard you presented data on different bulbs' spectrum changes over time. A friend of mine in CMAS (Maryland) attended the presentation you gave the same day as Steve Tyree and said that you showed data proving that some 20K bulbs lose most of their PAR after a few months of use because most of their light output is concentrated in the narrow spectrum 440-460nm range and this large "spike" falls off very quickly, while 10K bulbs are more full spectrum and maintain a higher level of PAR over a longer period.

I would definately like to learn more on this subject. I would really like to know how long bulbs really "last", and which bulbs provide the highest CCT with the least loss of PAR over time. I personally really like the look of 20K bulbs (especially the XM's) but I don't want to lose most of my avalible light a few months after installing them.