View Single Post
Old 12/17/2003, 12:12 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi wsg

To Reef Central

And I'm glad so many of you enjoy this thread.

John,

Currently there is some debate over on the Team RC forum about light and anemones. I have never been successful with anemones myself and always attributed my failure in keeping them to insufficient lighting. However, there are people that say they have maintained them with as little as 4 watts per gallon. The debate is still raging and eventually there is supposed to be a FAQ out on anemones. The wheels of TRC move exceedingly slow; as does the WaterKeeper..

I do feel that anemones are a poor choice for the new reefer. It is best to get a little experience under ones belt, as they are very fragile critters. Also, one dying in your tank can be a very bad experience as there is usually a very large ammonia spike following ones demise. They can nuke the entire tank.

With the PC lights you should be able to squeeze in more bulbs into the hood, as they don't take up that much room. You do need to do some wiring but it is not that hard. Also, you might consider going to a 96 watt lamp if you can handle the 33.5" length.

yz,

Same in your case, with a little creative wiring you can add an additional VHO. Unless you plan on keeping critters than require the higher lighting you may be fine with what you have.

bluefossil,

T-5 is fluorescent lighting, just a thinner tube. It is currently only available in HO but I hear VHO is soon to show up.

And all of you want to check out the lighting forum on any lighting plan. This thread just scratches the surface.

I have to go X-mas shopping this afternoon but I'll try to get more into this thread before Santa arrives.

Tom