View Single Post
Old 10/31/2003, 11:13 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by CrystalAZ
That's a funny article! I don't have any algae yet though, so I'll have to clip the recipe for later.
It was in this years April Fool's edition of Reef Keeping Magazine.

I've more or less gone through this before but here's a recap--

• Week 1--Rise of ammonia producing bacteria in the sand bed. Possible bacteria and protozoan blooms. Oxygen present throughout the bed,
  • Week 2-3-- Nitrite forming bacteria multiply, oxidizing ammonia to nitrite, Sand bed is still totally oxygenated.
  • Week 3-4-- Full nitrification is established. Ammonia is converted to nitrite then almost immediately to nitrate. Diatoms start to appear. Bed still oxygenated.
  • Week 4-6--Height of brown algae bloom. Rise of green algae. Upper layers of sand bed are fully populated with aerobic and nitrifying bacteria. Some decline in oxygen as one proceeds lower in the bed.
  • Week 6-8--Diatoms decline and green algae starts to predominate. Distinct layers of declining oxygen levels are starting to develop in the bed.
  • Week 8-12--Height of green algae bloom. Marked stratification of oxygen levels in the bed. Anoxic zones starting to develop where nitrate is reduced to nitrogen gas.
  • Weeks 12 -?--Decline of green algae. Anoxic and anaerobic zones are present in sand bed. De-nitrification is main form of nitrogen export.

These time frames are only approximate and depend on the amount of LS that seeded the bed and the curing method for the LR. It is important to note that many bacteria can use nitrate as a source of oxygen but only when low oxygen levels occur in the sand bed.

Hope this helps and Happy Halloween!!

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 10/31/2003 at 11:25 AM.