View Single Post
Old 11/12/2005, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthony Calfo

For the purpose of mentioning to others reading this/archiving... I should point out that the overflow hole as drawn is too high as it appears to be above the skimmer partition wall (which would flood the sump level over it and bypass the baffles).

but indeed as you have stated in the measurements... the skimmer wall is 1" higher than the overflow hole. And it will work fine. Quite fine actually... you are getting almost maximum sump-proper volume in this case.
[QUOTE]

Anthony,
Sorry, I read this part three times but I was a little confused by the two statements. Your first statement says that the water changing drain (WCD) overflow is too high in comparison to the skimmer partition wall. Is the skimmer partition wall the baffles? That is how I think you mean? Then are you correcting yourself in the second statement, when stating the skimmer wall is higher than the WCD overflow? Maybe it is too late or too early for me to understand.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo

Latsly... if the bottom image is showing the display tank with a single 2" bulkhead drilled for the overflow... I am worried that will not handle enough water through the sump. In fact... I am sure of it. I don't see you even getting a decent (quiet) 1000pgh through it from the sump loop
Anthony,
I should have been clearer on the labeling for the bottom image. That is actually still a drawing of the sump, not the main tank. I realized after I posted the drawing that I labeled it "tank". The 2" drain at the top of the sump tank on the left side is...well, literally an "overflow" drain specifically to avoid flooding the sump. If for some reason, the check valve from the return pipe were to get stuck open or one of the drilled hole below the 1" seaswirl outlet (my return to tank is through two 1" seaswirls) got blocked, I have a third safety feature. This "overflow" drain will be plumbed directly into the same wall drain as the WCD overflow hole. Hopefully, it will never get used.

The main tank has two 1 1/2" bulkheads at the top back corner of the tank. There is no overflow setup other than the two bulkheads. These bulkheads will drain directly into the skimmer section. One will drain into the ER CS12-2RC skimmer and the other into a Marc Levenson (Melev) bubble tower.

Now, to drain a specific amount of water ie 45 gallons or 10% of my total water volume, do I just add the 45 gallons of NSW at the lower temperature, while the sump drains equal amount out of the WCD overflow hole? Is that how the new versus old saltwater amounts are distributed. Cause, I was getting some confusing info on another post about putting the WCD overflow hole under water about half way between the bottom of the sump and the water level. The only way that makes sense is if I have a shut off/on valve coming off of the WCD overflow drain. Right? Sorry, if that sounds confusing.