Thread: Diving!
View Single Post
Old 11/07/2006, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
Alex -

the depth is about 20 - 30 feet. When we were out there two weekends ago - the visibility was horrible - maybe 10 feet at most. Our instructor commented that that was probably one of the worst weekend he has seen out at Breakwater. However, I have been out there at other times, and visibility was 25 feet. Just remember that when all of you are down there, visibility is going to be pretty bad from all the students kicking up silt.

I believe you are going to do the same skills as those that were done in the pool. The pool is definitely easier than the ocean because you don't have the wetsuit, the gloves, and cold water. In addition, the visibility at the pool is MUCH better. One skill that will be different is removal of the mask. At Monterey, you're going to get a slight shock when the cold water hit your face. Also - putting the mask on is a little more difficult because of the hood and the mask skirt.

The only thing I didn't like was that they let the student descend using the float line. I found that that made it really hard to equalize and hold the inflator hose at the same time. When Sierra did her class, I made her descend without holding the line. The trick is to just let enough air out of your BC so that you start sinking. Then kick to control your descend. That way you can equalize with right hand while using your left hand to control the inflator. BTW - don't let all of the air out of your BCD. Chances are you will be overweight, so just let enough air out so that your start sinking.

If you want to see fish - the best place to do it is along the rockwall. If you're lucky, you'll probably see some sea lions zoom past you. If you're up to diving on Sunday after your class, let me know and we can take you out to the rockwall.

Last - I don't know how bad your sinus is. But I always take Flonase and sudaphed 12 hours (not the Sudaphed PE) on the day of my dives. The reason why is that it helps opens up my sinus - even if I am not having sinus problem that day. My wife does the same thing even though she doesn't have allergies, and she said it makes it easier for her to equalize.

I will be the guy in black neoprene (unless my drysuit comes in first). Oh - I will be driving a bluish green Acura MDX. If you see me, come on up and say hi.

BTW - who is your instructor? Also - it's perfectly normal to be nervous. Most students are nervous and do just fine!

Minh
Your daughters DM allowed her not to use the rope? I wouldn't go around talking about that one, it's not to kosher amongst DM's and Instructors to do what they did

I suprised the Instructor said that was the worst day he's ever seen at the BW. The BW is used when no otehr spot is divable, so many diver there in 3-5' vis IMO your instructor was simply lying to make the students not feel cheated I know we used to do stuff like that. "Your the best group we've ever had" kinda stuff