View Single Post
Old 10/23/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

RODI Kalk Reactor

After failing miserably at building a leak proof Kalk reactor I found a link on this site to someone who used a RODI canister to build a Kalk reactor. I really liked the idea of building one out of a RODI canister since they are leak proof and they are very small. That was really important to me because I don’t have much room in my stand.

The only problem was that it had no stir mechanism. I then decided to build one that I could use with a magnetic stirrer. The only problem was the bottom of the RODI Canister has a raised tube in the center that is used to hold the DI filter cartridge. I found a plastic drain disk at Ace hardware and it fit perfectly into the canister. I sanded the one side of the disk to make sure it was smooth.

I then used some super glue and glued it to the bottom of the RODI canister.

The top part of the canister needed a line that would run down to the Kalk. I used a ½ tap to thread the inside of the top tube. This is normally the output on a RODI canister but for the Kalk reactor it will be the input.

I used some teflon tape and attached the ½ MPT x ¼” hose barb

After that was secure I attached some ¼ tubing to the fitting and cut it to be just above the stir bar. I don’t want it to interfere with the stirring mechanism.

And here it is complete. I have a ¼ valve on the output in the picture that I ended up not using since I just run the topoff through the reactor and not using it for dripping Kalk.

Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0