View Single Post
Old 03/29/2003, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Just a couple notes:

I am the curator of a 41000 gallon marine tank and we treat all incoming fish regardless of species (except sharks of coarse) with copper sulfate for 30 days and praziquantel for 10 days. Tangs are not bothered any more than other species by copper as long as levels do not exceed .2 ppm We also feed garlic (fresh and very finely minced) with all feedings.
If I were you I would remove all the fish from your reef and quarantine them in copper sulfate for 30 to 40 days at .2ppm. Bring the copper levels up over a one week period. You must remove all fish from your tank for this period of time or you will never get it out of your tank. If the tank is free of fish for 40 days, the protazoa will not be able to complete it's life cycle.
I would also suggest that you freshwater dip (with temp and ph matched freshwater) for 8 minutes. This sounds like a long time but we fw dip everything for that period of time and have never ever lost a fish from dipping. This will relieve the fish of any of the Cryt that are already infesting the fish. Keep in mind that if you can see it on their flanks and fins, their gills are infested much worse. After all is said and done I would also recomend adding a few pacific cleaner wrasses to your reef.