Thread: Feeding corals
View Single Post
Old 05/08/2007, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

I do not have to turn off my pumps, but I suppose you could at the beginning to see how it works. I find that if you squirt food at the corals: # 1, they NEVER catch or eat the first pieces of food, it just alerts the fish and puts them into an aggressive feeding mood. By using just the water the food was thawed out in your corals are READY TO EAT by the time you go to feed them. #2 fully extended tentacles are sticky, lightly puff the food into the inner side of the tentacles, they quickly catch and respond to the presence of food. #3 I find a coral fed this way eats much quicker, thereby getting more of the food...and keeping fish from stealing it. #4 I find my corals sometimes extending their tentacles when I just feed my fish...it lets me know they are VERY hungry for some reason and when fully extended I feed them also.

The only time I turn off my protein skimmer and sump is when I'm feeding oyster eggs or fish roe...I keep the powerheads on to keep the water circulating within the confides of the tank...allowing all the corals and zoas to eat. I have even had SPS corals respond to this treatment. Sometimes I will feed during the day, sometimes I will wait until lights out and the moonlights come on...different SPS feed on different schedules. After their polyps extend, I use a sea squit to puff oyster eggs mixed with tank water to the SPS. You can see them respond. I have a radiator fluid green digi that went from a small 2 1/2 inch frag to the massive piece shown below in less than 18 months.

Unfortunately, I sold that piece off when I broke down my large tank and didn't have enough foresight to save a frag for myself. (Here's where I start beating my head on the desk!) If you know anyone willing to sell me a frag of this, LMK.

This method works great for all corals...you might be surprised to see just how much a bubble, brain, chalice or acan will eat and grow.

Good luck