View Single Post
Old 11/25/2005, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

I have the big aquaclear HOB filter set up as a fuge on a 29 gallon tank (I got the system complete, this isn't the way I would have done it).
One of those mini coralife fixtures is lighting the chaeto with two 9 watt PCs, one is actinic the other daylight.
My chaeto ball is healthy and crisp. Being that it occupies the entire area (except for a small sand bed and some rubble) of the filter it doesn't roll, but a lot of water does flow through it.

Lighting, cool.
Tumble, none.
Flow rate, High (compared to overall water volume I guess)

I haven't had the tank long but the chaeto is definitily healthy. I can't speak to the overall nitrate uptake because I haven't had the tank long enough to tell. One of the first things I did when I got this tank was lower the fish load. Right now the remaining tank inhabitants are probably enjoying the nitrate decrease thanks to the thinning of the population moreso than anything I could observe the chaeto doing (meaning that I've been lazy and not testing).

Also, Anthony I've been reading a lot of the posts in this particular forum lately and I gotta thank you for all the invaluable info .. and it makes sense!
Thank you!