View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I agree.

I just started my 90 not too long ago and tried to explore as many avenues as possible regarding substrate. I wanted a deep sand bed, so that was going to drive my cost up even more.

The Old Castle/Southdown company does not make aragonite sand anymore, as they no longer have access to the harvesting site.

Aragonite (calcium carbonate) has great buffering capabilities. Also, the oolitic shape of the sand is appropriate for the life in the sand. The various worms and "bugs" in the sand really don't do well with the sharp edges of silica/quartz sand. Also, if you ever plan on having a goby or other sand-sifting fish, the playsand will not be gentle enough for their gills.

An excellent alternative is to buy some CaribSea aragonite (they have many varieties/sizes to choose from) and seed it with a cupful of live sand from a fellow reefer. I wouldn't go so far as using playsand, though.

I live by my father's mantra... pay higher upfront for quality and longevity rather than be cheap and pay for it later.

But believe me, I try to be as thrifty as possible where I can be because this hobby is so expensive! Check out craigslist to see if anyone is breaking down their tank and buy their established LR and LS for a deal.