View Single Post
Old 12/11/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

I went around and around with the same concerns you have about ordering my tank. I wanted the best bang for the buck. I too looked into Perfecto and they were about 2x as much as most everyone else. I ended up going with a builder from Canada; I had heard good things about their tanks, but bad things about their service. Well I had not counted on the service being soooo bad and after 3 months of waiting I canceled my order (they never even ordered my glass to build my tank). So now I'm looking for a new tank as well, around the same size volume as you are thinking. I have decided that a little more $$$ is good for peace of mind and better build quality.
I will say this about perfecto and the fact they build in your house. That is the ultimate in convenience your tank will weigh thousands of pounds and be incredibly difficult to move, and in my case I would not have to cut a hole in my house to get the tank in. Weigh the pros and cons.
As for the really cheep builders like Glasscages. You get what you pay for, they make strong tanks, their silicone is a little sloppy, they don't polish the edges and you may have a chip or two. When a friend of mine got his from Glasscages it had a half dollar size chip in the glass at a seam, it didn't hurt anything structurally, and it just didn't look good and for an in wall tank you would never notice it.
Remember that the tank is the soul of your system, it's the part that you and everyone who looks at you tank sees first, so with that said buy the best you can afford.