View Single Post
Old 12/07/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

I am switching out T5 for MH primarily for the shimmer. I found every time I go to the LFS or see someone else's tank I have shimmer envy and end up hating the look of my tank. T5s look sterile. My one and only complaint about T5s.

Quote:
they are terribly expensive though- to give you an idea, about the price of a new Tunze Nano 6055. but as my tanks packed and i havent added anything to my system for a while, i thought to give it a try.
For that price I could buy 2-3 years (the difference between MH & T5 wattages on my tank) of MH. Do you know what LED they used? I tried a Lumanids and couldn't see it. Perhaps I just needed multiple LEDs.

Adding halogens doesn't make sense to me. If you add two 75 watt halogens to a T5 setup (for example) you negate the price difference in electricity between the T5/MH setup. Perhaps you would just rig up a "viewing" switch that that seems kind of lame to me.

I am not trying to bash T5s, I think they are great. If a guy doesn't care about shimmer lines I say go T5 all the way but if the guy wants shimmer lines it seems T5 isn't a good solution.