View Single Post
Old 03/20/2005, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

So far it's been frustrating. My powder blue is eating really well, and is very active. The white spots disappeared within the first couple of days. I keep the SG between 1.008-1.009, measured with a refractometer. I change water twice a week (20%). Then about a week ago I noticed some white spots on his fins, and he's been trying to scratch them off. This is very discouraging to me, which is why I remain skeptical about the broad knowledge of marine ich. Some people swear by hypo, others by copper. Some believe that marine ich is not always present in an aquarium, others believe it is. And there are stories that support either theory. The ones that stick in my mind are when people do not have an outbreak for years, then after a stressful event, like upgrading to a larger tank or some other stressor, they get a huge outbreak. I'm starting to lean towards marine ich always being in a tank but as long as you keep your fish as stress-free as possible, the parasite cannot take hold. I know this is contrary to the "scientific" study of the marine ich life cycle, but how can so many experienced reefers share the same stories?
For now I will continue with the hypo treatment. The white spots are still there on the fins so I can't start my countdown until they're gone. I might as well carry it through and see for myself. This sucks.