View Single Post
Old 07/11/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Well all of the treatments have their place. Hypo, Copper, Garlic extracts, Fallow and Quarantine.

I reject notions that QT is a poor method. I believe in multiple fish tanks, it's not only essential but if done properly vital to the recovery of the fish. It not only transports any cysts that are on the fish to a new environment and preventing them from dropping off but allows a less stressful environment for the fish.

The key is doing it right. Everyone should be ready for a QT situation and a moments notice. Personally I always have pre-mixed water aerating and have a secondary biological filter ready and running on my main system to transfer over. Secondly, Salinity and Temp need to be matched. Otherwise you are taking a weak diseased fish and making it fight both the water conditions and the disease. Finally a proper environment for the fish is best, hiding places and an easy cleanable tank.

This prevents or greatly reduces the disease transmission to other fish and to keep the fish in a controlled area for proper observation without the vagaries of the main tank (hiding in rock and predators). It also allows for the use of harmful chemicals that would otherwise destroy/damage or hurt the main tank (Copper and Formalin).

I agree that immediately treating copper isn't the best treatment. However it's been proven effective and safe if done properly with real test kits.

Formalin can also be used for Ich but again is a carcinogen and needs to be used with utmost care.

Finally, Hypo salinity and Garlic are in my own opinion the best methods for treatment and I believe from the information I have read to be the easiest on fish if given in a QT. Garlic from my own observations does act as an appetite increaser, and the Hypo-Salinity interrupts the life cycle of the cyst while simultaneous reducing the osmotic pressure on the fish giving him more energy to combat the cyst naturally. Combined with a temp of 80-82 to increase the life cycle it should break the cycle effectively in the QT allowing the fish to recovery naturally.

However where I take issue with the above posts and my request for more information, is garlic used by itself has NOT been proven effective. The links I provided are two observations on this subject and have less then stellar results. However, there is something to be said for personal observation so I consider science on garlic still in progress.

Can you provide in any form articles done in some sort of scientific manner that shows Formalin, Copper, Quarantine Tanks and Hypo Salinity to be detrimental to Ich reduction if done properly? Almost all instance I have seen of the above methods failing were due to the fish either being to far gone for any treatment to affect them, or being done improperly.

Thanks