View Single Post
Old 12/15/2006, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm, maybe it is just a California thing then because evry new house I have done wiring in the branch outlet circuits are all 20A with the exception of the lighting circuits maybe its just us that does this?

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Not to get picky here... but I keep seeing people say this and it is BY FAR not true.

Most branch circuits are 15A unless required by code or upgraded by the builder. With the cost of copper skyrocketing, most builders do the bare minimum to meet code. That means the only place you will often find #12 is the 20A dedicated kitchen and laundry outlets required by code. The rest will be #14 unless local codes dictate or the perspective home owner asks for an upgrade. Of course some builders go the extra mile (and charge the extra price) by default and add 20A branch circuits for convenience.

I don't have a single run of #14 in my house, but then again I wired it myself.

Anyway 12A is the "max" continuous load a 15A branch circuit (80% load as outlined by the NEC). More than that will leave no headroom and push the breaker temperature close to the trip point. 12A at 120V is 1440 Watts.

You need to find out what size breaker of fuse feeds that outlet, and what other outlets and fixtures/appliences are served by it.

A desk lamp or clock radio will help you figure it out. Plug the radio in to each outlet and turn on all the lights. Trip the breaker or unscrew the fuse. Make not of what lights go out and if the radio stop playing. You should be able to determine what is being fed by that fuse/breaker. Add up all the wattage ratings for everything that it feeds, then let us know.

Owner MC Lighting Concepts - LED Lighting Products