View Single Post
Old 07/19/2006, 01:06 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
Try a different store next time and use a quarantine tank. Do you find the fish dead? Is the clownfish in an anemone?
I've quarantined 2 of the 3 wrasses for 4 weeks prior to placing them in my tank.

The first corpse was never found, but I'm certain it didn't carpet surf, since I have no carpet around the tank . I guess it's possible that it could have jumped out and the cat could have eaten it, but our cat isn't really fond of anything other than his food so this is extremely unlikely. More probable is that the clean-up crew got to it and dessimated it quite rapidly (I observed this on a Rainford's goby that I was unable to get out of the tank - not pretty for sure )

The 2nd and 3rd SLW's that died were both found dead and removed by the house sitter.

The clownfish hosts in a frogspawn, as I do not yet have an anemone. I wanted to wait a full year before trying one out. Even if I add one at this point, I'm not sure the clownfish would leave her frogspawn, as she rarely ventures far from it.

Truth be told, I've not had good luck with fish . I almost always quarantine and I've moved quite slowly. I first added a pair of perculas, and one of them died about a week later. The other is the only remaining fish in my tank currently. I'm not proud of this next statement, but in the past 8 months my list of mortalities includes: highfin shrimp goby, another true perc, 3 sixline wrasses, a Rainford's goby, and a lawnmower blenny. This has been my greatest source of disappointment in this hobby thus far, as I hate to have something die while under my care (my bio doesn't mention it, but I'm a physician). In contrast, my corals (softies, LPS and SPS) and other invertebrates have done quite well.

I think I will purchase my next fish at a different LFS. Hopefully it will make a difference.