View Single Post
Old 05/22/2004, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Fish Story Blues

Just a short anecdote or anyone interested in small predatory fish........last summer, I decided the 125 gal. smaller fish tank in my livingroom needed a "dash of color" and bought a Blue Hamlet that had been hanging around a local LFS for some time.
Since the sale tank was bare and poorly lit, the fish was displaying a pale barred stress pattern, but I knew how beautiful they could be in a decent tank.
About 10 minutes after getting it into my tank, the fish was eating like there was no tomorrow and it settled into it's "normal" colors.......cool, I had a Black Hamlet, and although I'd never had one, black wasn't exactly the flash of color I'd been seeking.
Today I bought Blue Hamlet #2 from the same shop, out of the same bare tank and displaying the same faded bar pattern, and it too is eating well and settled in, my only real concern being that Hamlet #1 wouldn't tolerate it.
Guess what?
This one's an Indigo Hamlet, so at least I got SOME blue!

Hamlets, by the way, are hermaphoditic members of the sea bass family from the Caribbean/Tropical S. Atlantic, with each animal being both male and female, often mating twice in fairly rapid succession, "once as a he" and once as a "she", perfect additions for 55-125 gal. tanks with medium sized fish and that come in a wide range of colors.....they average 4" as adults.

Mike