Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 09/14/2003, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
As your discovering, those so called reef safe ich "cures" are also ich safe The ich parasite, Cryptocaryon irritans, is a very well understood and easily treated parasite. There are two reliable, scientifically proven methods that work. Both will require the fish to be treated in a seperate quarantine tank (QT), as neither method is invert safe. The first method is copper, with Sea Chems Cupramine being the best one.
my 10 plus years of sw experience was with predators and nothing reef. Since my 20 gal is not cycled I took my live rock and put it in there with my shrimps and feather duster. Even with water from my main tank I was not confident about the ammonia not spiking and killing my four firefish if I would have put the fish in the 20 gallon instead. anyways I will treat now with copper and after the ich is gone(4-6 weeks), filter with carbon, and do a water change before putting back the live rock and inverts....

btw what would happen if live rock was in with copper? I mean I know it would kill some of it, but would it then polute my tank? just curious, because at this point I am fed up with trying to get rid of ich without copper. thats how I got rid of it always before....

thanks..