View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

If I am reading your posts correctly, it sounds like you may be using a QT in a different way than I have been reading (and using) for my own use.

I think the "jist" of a QT tank is to have a smaller tank that can be set up on a moments notice. You would use no substrate or live rock in the QT (unless its the rock that your a QTing)

Typically (I think) the QT tank would be a bare bottom tank that you only add water from your DT...(This is why they are typically smaller tanks)...I use a cheap 5 gallon tank that I can set up for acclimation, and or emergency QT. Add your water from your DT by drip for acclimation or syphon to fill it right away. (I also have a small removable plastic ship that I put in to allow a new fish to hide...U can also just put PVC Pipe in there)

Once you are done with the QT and the QTd occupant is back in the DT.......The QT water is disposed of and the tank is put away until the next acclimation or emergency.

IF you are trying to keep a separate tank full time that you want to use for QT, and you are going to use live rock and sand, it would need to cycle just like any other tank before you can add livestock....However...if you introduce a sick fish into that tank for QT...the tank is now "sick" (so to speak) It may than take months for that tank (with no fish) to be well again ...I would not want to expose another fish to that now contaminated QT tank....(Thus the reason for the breakdown of a QT between uses)

I am by no means an expert as I a brand new to this all myself, but that is how I understand the "intent" of a QT tank to be used.

(I am sure someone will correct me if I am off base)