Thread: Turkey Baster
View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dileggi
The nitrates should definitely drop as the matter is removed from the actual water column. Water changes will help a lot too to lower them.

As far as how often to do it, I'm not sure. What I normally do, and I have no idea if I'm right, is I do it once a week and then wait for all the "floaters" in the water to dissapate and then clean the filters out. If it looks like I need to do it more than once a week, then I'll do it as needed. But, as a rule of thumb, I go with once a week to play safe.

Also, maybe you can direct a power head towards the rocks? This may help to keep the stuff from settling on there.
actually once of month or so it is good to direct the power head behind the reef rock also--alot gets trapped down behind between the rock and the glass- usually where current can't reach

----as to current 20-40 times your tank volume---I would suggest using Korilias because they are turbulent flow so you get more of a broad fanning out of the blast rather then a straight narrow blast from power heads
this also makes them easy to direct a flow across the substrate without a snow storm