View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Curious, why two 660 ballasts? A 660 can drive 4 X 48" bulbs on its own..
It was a live-and-learn deal. I picked up the T5's as retrofit kits. Each kit had a ballast. NOW I know that the ballast will handle 4.

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Also, I would seriously consider getting those ballasts out of the stand and onto the back of the canopy. There are few reasons. That area is just bad in general for any electronics, with a much greater chance of corrosion, or worse, direct salt creep/splash. Also, in the case of an overflow, a fire hazard. Another reason is if you need to remove the canopy to work on it, it requires much more effort in that configuration, as opposed to just unplugging them and removing the whole canopy by itself. There is also better cooling outside the stand. I personally removed every bit of electronics out of the stand so if it were to overflow, I drastically reduce the chance of major shorts/damage.
I'm going to see how this works and move them if needed. I'm going to put fans in the stand for any heat. Plus they're about 2' from the sump - hopefully that'll keep them clean. Putting them behind the canopy was shot down by my interior designer wife - she doesn't even like that you can see cords. If needed, we've got space next to the tank where we can place some sort of cabinet for the ballasts and get them away from the tank completely.