View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Greetings All !

Quote:
Originally posted by stony_corals
... Mesocosm seems to think this is caused by photoinhabition as a result of the very clear water....
My use of the term "photo-inhibition" over in the chemistry forum was intended as a general description for the purpose of furthering discussion in that particular thread. We have to start the analysis somewhere, yes?

I do not pretend to have a definitive answer ...

In my read of the threads pertaining to this subject in ZEOville, there appear to be four main tangents:

(1) Damage resulting from a correlation with either excessive intensity, or excessive photoperiod (frequency = ~50%);
(2) Damage resulting from a correlation with what is perceived as respiratory (or metabolic, if you prefer) behavior of the coral host, and/or its associated bacteria (frequency = ~30%);
(3) Damage which currently cannot be directly correlated to either intensity, photoperiod, or respiraton (frequency = ~10%);
(4) Damage that is subsequently identified as resulting from another cause, i.e., transport shock, careless handling, pest infestation, frenzied dwarf angelfish attacks ... et cetera (frequency = ~10%).

It is perhaps worth noting that the damage (when not associated with "another" cause) is typically temporary (~65%), and its progression is usually halted by either raising the lighting, by decreasing the photoperiod, and/or by altering "dosing" (typically lowering).

For the record, I discount the 'clearer water' ... hmmm ... "explanation". I have a hard time reconciling a relatively minor turbidity shift as the fundamental cause of the so-called RTN or STN that's being described.

JMO ... HTH

Last edited by mesocosm; 12/31/2007 at 10:36 PM.