View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 01:23 PM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

I tried the LED's but they aren't strong enough to over power the T5's, so you don't see any shimmer. Got some great moonlights now..

For a "Cheap" shimmer effect, Halogen's work.. No they are not a crisp as Halides, but the bulbs cost a 1/20 of Halide bulbs to replace and still use less juices than running (02) 150 watt or (02) 250 Halides. You don't need a ballast either, just a cheap shop light, a couple cheap parbolic reflectors and your done.

The main reason I added these was I like the shimmer I get from the natural sun through my Solar Tube Skylights, but in the evening or cloudy days, I missed it. Now I have very similiar shimmer in the evening with a quick switch on to my Halogen bulbs.

The trickiest part is offsetting the 6000k Halogen bulb color with the right mix of Blues and Actinics of T5's.. Right now, I run it bluer than most people, close to 15000k range... I use (02) Uri Super Actinics, (01) Ati Blue and (01) Geissman Aquablue Plus (10k)

My Video didn't have the Geismann Aqua Blue Plus bulb on so it is bluer than normal.

Funny how many Halide bulbs people will try to get the right color my replacing bulbs from 10k, to 14k, to 15k to 20 k ..From Hamiltons, to XM, to Iwasaki, to Phoenix, etc, etc . At $ 75.00 to $100.00 per bulb that has to get old quick.

All I have to do is switch out a T5 and can dial in the color exactly the way i like it... Just trying to give the author a suggestion that helped me achieve exactly what he was asking for, for CHEAP...

Later,

Jim