View Single Post
Old 12/19/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prestwood

3c) Varations on the �MARS must preserve the LFSs� theme.

The LFSs are not mentioned in the charter. The members are. Preserving the LFSs is only required when not doing so negatively affects the members.

Please keep your arguments concrete. First and foremost, establish how the LFS going away is a detriment to our members. Secondly, define how MARS prevents them from staying in business.

"First and foremost, establish how the LFS going away is a detriment to our members.

Our members have clearly established in this thread that they enjoy shopping at their LFS. Shopping at a local store is a chance to view ideas and concepts that one maybe has never seen or heard of before. It is also a place where one can get an answer to a question from a knowledgeable person face to face. The fact that the members have clearly stated they would be willing to pay more to shop there is a testament to how important these stores are to the members of MARS. If these stores were to close it would be detrimental (damaging or harmful) to our members as it would take away an important pieceof the hobby they love.

"Secondly, define how MARS prevents them from staying in business."

Mars doing group buys would allow people to take money that is spent in the LFS and spend it somewhere else. The LFS would then not make a profit on those items. The more profit the club caused them to lose, the greater their chance would be of not being able to stay open. I am not saying we as a club are strong enough purchasers that we could cause the stores to close necessarily. I am saying however that I would not want the club to help or aid in that cause.

Lastly "The LFSs are not mentioned in the charter. The members are. Preserving the LFSs is only required when not doing so negatively affects the members.

The members are clearly saying that the LFS matter to them! They say so with their mouths and their wallets. The charter says "Preserving the LFSs is only required when not doing so negatively affects the members." The members are saying preserving the LFS is VERY important to them. Therefore the charter is backing the argument made of not hurting the local fish stores very implictly. I want our club to promote our hobby and strenghten it throughout our regoin. Having stores is one of the best ways that our hobby is promoted. I know that stores in our area are responsible for new hobbyists much more than MARS or Reefcentral is. People find us after they have already began in the hobby usually. They many times learn of us IN THE STORES! I feel if we are to be a responible club that benefits our hobby and members in our area, it is of the utmost importance that we try and work hand in hand with the others such as the LFS that are also promoting our hobby.

Brian, I appreciate your ideas but in this area I feel that you are not taking into consideration, or understanding just how much our LFS mean to the club and its members. They are not just a resource to some of us but more of an integral part of the hobby. I feel that by supporting us they are practically members of our club and their ability to survive should be considered when we choose what we do as a club. It is not putting them ahead of the members, it is simply looking out for our fellow reefers and the good of the overally hobby.

Respectfully
Paul