Thread: my new elegance
View Single Post
Old 11/25/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

last week I made my first mistake.

I accidentally left the daylight bulb timer in the 'on' position and found out my mistake about 1.5 hours past the usual 5 hour photoperiod.

the elegance was already swollen like a series of bubbles, with withered tentacles. I immediately turned off both lights. I was shocked that a mere 1.5 hours was too much extra light for this coral, but it was a good lesson regarding just how sensitive the elegance species is to light variation.

The next day I kept the daylight bulb off, but left the actinic on and the coral remained withdrawn the entire day. The day after that I turned on the daylight bulb for only 2 hours and the coral came back out fully.

It's been about a week since my stupid mistake, and it’s now back up to the same photoperiod as before and - miraculously - its looking better than ever. Three days ago I fed a few small chunks of fresh shrimp to it. I used chopsticks to dangle the food near the outer tentacles and as soon as they touched the shrimp, it was wharfed down in about 10 seconds. Each mouth got a small piece.

Ryan

Last edited by RyanBrucks; 11/25/2007 at 01:53 PM.