Thread: my new elegance
View Single Post
Old 11/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

my new elegance

Hey guys,

I've had a 20G tank for about 2 months, and its been cycled for the past 4 weeks. I've seen alot of pods and coraline algae growing on my live rock, so I figured it was safe to add something.

I purchased this elegance from my LFS (fish world NC) last night. seems to be doing well so far. This shot is with actinic light only. Doesn't really do it justice as the entire photo looks too blue, the green colors pop alot more in person.

I think it is just standard Catalaphyllia jardinei, can anybody confirm that from the photos?

Here it is with both the 10,000k PC and actinic bulbs on. You can get a little better idea of the coloration but I couldn't quite get my camera to capture the colors still.

Anyways, when I bought the coral, the books I looked up elegance in referred to them as very hardy and easy to take care of. It wasn't until I started researching them online that I discovered how many people have had problems keeping them alive for extended periods of time.

So far mine seems good. Fully extended after only a few hours. At first I didn't have any flow besides that provided by a marineland HOB filter. I added a small powerhead today and its just enough to make the tentacles sway like grass, and the coral also released alot of waste once the flow increased a bit (i caught most of it with a net).

Should I be concerned about the long term health of this guy, or is the fact tha it opened up so fast a promising sign?

FYI, long term this 20G tank is going to be my QT tank, but I am just using it to get set up for now until my 200G tank arrives in jan/feb 08. I'll obviously take the argonite and LR out.

Thanks,
Ryan