View Single Post
Old 03/01/2003, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

melev-I respect your oppinion and I applaud you for walking the line without crossing it. If it really bothers you please don't open the thread. It is like a show on TV you don't like. You don't watch it. RC is about knowledge sharing and that is what I am doing here. I am not telling everyone to go cut their BTA in half. I don't now how many times I have seen on this board a post about a new guy getting his BTA in a powerhead or ripped apart by a fish and he throws it out so as not to foul the tank. Hopefully from this thread he would see that they regenerate and can survive. I had cut mine to make room and I feel good to share it with others. I have never lost a BTA and this guy is 10 years old. He had split in the past several times but stopped for about two years. I tried for a year to get it to split via the water changes and heavy feeding method. Just got bigger and bigger.

Anemones are structurally the same as mushrooms. In some coral books they are even labeled as "mushroom anemones." To me if you feel like cutting the shroom then cutting a BTA is no different. They heal and regenerate the same. It would be nice to let nature take its course but unfortunately the wild population is getting smaller and smaller thanks to the hobby. We need to learn to reproduce them like we now do other corals. I could just keep the info to myself and reproduce and sell them like others are doing but I want to share it to others like Mr. Calfo did for me.

zooqi-Lateral dissection starting from the mouth outwards all the way thru. Then the other side from the mouth outwards. It is the best way to try to get an equal part of the mouth and insides for both specimens. I have only seen this and done this out of the water. A day or two later the insides will be pulled back in and the tissue will close around it. It then takes about two weeks for the mouth to be visibly formed.

I bet this is what Noah felt like when building the Ark.