View Single Post
Old 07/07/2007, 04:03 PM
Obsessed reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by King-Kong
..wow... the new style looks awesome. You see, this is what im talking about with rock layout. You took a layout that before didnt draw the eye in any particular direction. That seemed more like the fruit stand look. Then, you created character. You created channels and paths.

To me, this look more natural. This looks more like a reef with character. The kind of reef that when you're seeing it first hand stands out in your memory as unique.

I also like the dark color on your corals.. be sure to keep your bioload up and skimming efficient so you can maintain the good coloration on them (all in balance with how much light you give them). So many times we see BB tanks where the corals turn pastel and lose their coloration because theyre starving.

Honestly, the only thing I would suggest is to keep working on your flow, and see (money permitting), you can find a way of consolidating some of those power heads so that you have less, with more flow. I'm not a fan of having to look at powerheads (no matter who makes them).

The funny thing is, so many people think tank with fewer rock (whether theyre BB or not) unnatural, but I find it to be the reverse! I think original rock layouts with minimal amounts appear far more natural to me than fruit stands!
I couldn't agree more Kong. I am a big fan of less is more with the rock approach. I love seeing tanks with open spaces an channels betwen the rockscape and I even use this appprach on my tank with sand. I think it adds a lot more character.

......Hi Joe..........