Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Questions about haching/rasing fri (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613938)

Travis Savant 06/17/2005 01:39 PM

Questions about haching/rasing fri

Ok, I don't have a pair of clowns YET, but I want to get the knowledge ahead of time. I am wanting to buy 2 juvee B&W Ocellaris clowns and breed them. Here are the questions...
[list=1][*]Where can I buy a rotiffer hatching kit?[*]What equipment do I need for the hatching tank?[*]Do I need lighting for the hatching tank?[*]What does it mean to "Tent the water green"?[/list=1]

TIA guys :)

Falko 06/17/2005 02:34 PM

Re: Questions about haching/rasing fri

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Travis Savant [/i][list=1][*]Do I need lighting for the hatching tank?
[/QUOTE]

I Don't know. But I do know that you will need to close the light on the heater with some type of tape. Because they are attracted to light. And if they come to close to the heater, they might die.

reefraver 06/17/2005 04:17 PM

you can get a rotifer hatfching kit at [url]www.aquaculturestore.com[/url]

you need a small airstone very small and yes you need a light and a low wattage one too. keep on same cycle as the main tank.

when you tint the water green you need green water thats what the rotifers feed on and the clown like it to it helps them but put just a little in.

good luck

Dlckwood 06/18/2005 03:15 AM

Re: Questions about haching/rasing fri

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Travis Savant [/i]
[B]Ok, I don't have a pair of clowns YET, but I want to get the knowledge ahead of time. I am wanting to buy 2 juvee B&W Ocellaris clowns and breed them. Here are the questions...
[list=1][*]Where can I buy a rotiffer hatching kit?[*]What equipment do I need for the hatching tank?[*]Do I need lighting for the hatching tank?[*]What does it mean to "Tent the water green"?[/list=1]

TIA guys :) [/B][/QUOTE]

1. Buy a 10 gallon tank from petco or even a 5 gallon bucket. The more the better so you have backup in case of a crash.

2. Air pump and a light. You might want a heater but its not mandatory.

3. Yes, nothing fancy though.

4. That would be tint and thats so the rotifers dont starve in the hatching tank. So basicly a little algae in the hatching tank.

HTH
David

I'm happy answing any questions you might have. But, as you know it may be quite a while until they start breeding. For some reason B&W ocellaris clowns take much longer to start breeding.

Travis Savant 06/18/2005 08:32 AM

Thanks Dlckwood.

How exactly do I make alitle algae in the tank?

Is there some type of additive to make the algae grow?

Dlckwood 06/18/2005 08:47 PM

Well, I cheat and I buy Instant algae. It is not living so it doesnt reproduce. It is more expensive but the savings in time and hassle out wieght the price.
David

crpeck 06/25/2005 03:02 PM

The book "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson is absolutely a lifesaver. It tells you everything you need and walks you through the steps.

Good Luck!

Travis Savant 06/25/2005 03:37 PM