Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   DSB and Big Skimmers? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290620)

notenoughtanks 01/10/2008 12:00 PM

DSB and Big Skimmers?

I have always had excellent sps color and growth in my tank with my DSB using a small skimmer (75 gallon with a prizm, yes a prizm) Ever since upgrading tank and skimmer that has gone in the toilet. Is a DSB an efficient enough method of filtration where I don't need a big skimmer for sps? I upgraded to a 120 with an octopus nw200 slightly modded. So I have two theories. One, I screwed up my sand bed when I stirred it all up and transferred it to the new tank. Two, I'm skimming way to much cause my sand bed is already an effective form of filtration. Anyone have any experience or advice?

rustybucket145 01/10/2008 12:01 PM

I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree.....

What type of livestock do you have?

m2434 01/10/2008 12:07 PM

I would strongly recommend a skimmer. You almost certainly stirred up the sand bed during the move. It will take time to eliminate the nutrients that were released and for the sandbed to become re-established - a skimmer will be CRITICAL in this process.

notenoughtanks 01/10/2008 12:09 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11566433#post11566433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434 [/i]
[B]I would strongly recommend a skimmer. You almost certainly stirred up the sand bed during the move. It will take time to eliminate the nutrients that were released and for the sandbed to become re-established - a skimmer will be CRITICAL in this process. [/B][/QUOTE]

This was eight months ago, and yeas, the skimmer was rocking the whole time. Still not seeing any results. Zero algae of any kind thouhg.

m2434 01/10/2008 12:55 PM

You may have another issue...

more info about the problem, your current setup and your previous setup, including equipment and parametes might help...

notenoughtanks 01/10/2008 01:37 PM

I have eliminated all other variables. params are the same as before. equipment didn't change much, just upgraded to account for bigger system.

m2434 01/10/2008 04:07 PM

IMO its not the skimmer, if anything it's too small for a 120...

Good luck :)

JillNairn 01/10/2008 11:41 PM

I agree with above, skimmer isnt the issue. Something else is causing the problem. Has the change been recent where your having an issue or slowly gradually taking place? SPS like clean clean clean water.

Snowboarda42 01/11/2008 03:36 AM

The skimmer will only pull out available nutrients BEFORE they go through the nitrogen cycle. That is, before they turn to ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate. The DSB, if it is established, holds bacteria that actually process the wastes that aren't picked up by skimming/water changes. The wastes and leftover foods get broken down to ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate.

Keep your skimmer going, it can only help.