Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   OT- When did Dual become Duel? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289562)

Genetics 01/08/2008 11:20 PM

OT- When did Dual become Duel?

I was just curious on this as I see so many threads saying duel whatevers. I personally think it would cool to have my fish spar off against one another. Well not the expensive guys but maybe the cheapos. I'm thinking damsel fish....

itZme 01/09/2008 12:06 AM

OMG don't get me started on the dumbing down of America LOL ... I see so many people interchanging the words "two, too and to" or "there, their and they're". We see lots of people with "fudges" under their tanks. You could spend the entire day just correcting grammar in one or two of the forums on reefcentral.

Oh BTW, my 12 yr old son has a spelling bee Wednesday at 6pm :D They gave the entire 7th and 8th grades a test with 20 words and the top 20 scorers are in the Bee.
I have been doing my best to slow the dumbing down at my house. :thumbsup:

shawnz28 01/09/2008 04:29 AM

here is a good watch [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE[/url]

Kung 01/09/2008 06:38 AM

I teach high school english. The things I have seen . . .

Kids like to write about the Salem Which Trails, where there was a wich hun't.

Sew, *** you can si, you aren't the only won who seize this tipe of thing, eye si it two. Does that make since?

Teenagers write in their own pigeon language.

walmart 01/09/2008 06:47 AM

I challenge you to a DUEL!

ReefFreaks 01/09/2008 07:55 AM

I prolly agree with all of you.

Genetics 01/09/2008 09:36 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11555805#post11555805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by itZme [/i]
[B]Oh BTW, my 12 yr old son has a spelling bee Wednesday at 6pm :D They gave the entire 7th and 8th grades a test with 20 words and the top 20 scorers are in the Bee.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Congrats! I remember those days.

[QUOTE][B]Sew, *** you can si, you aren't the only won who seize this tipe of thing, eye si it two. Does that make since?[/B][/QUOTE]

:lol: I si. English is an ever expanding language right? So who's to say this isn't the new english and what I'm typing will be considered ol' english? Personally, I won't do business with anyone that can't type the language. I think its saved me some time and money in the long run b/c I've never run into anyone shady that spells correctly.

[QUOTE][B]challenge you to a DUEL![/B][/QUOTE]

It's on. Let me find my leather glove to smack you and make it official! What is the official dueling these days? DDR?:D

[QUOTE][B]I prolly agree with all of you.[/B][/QUOTE]

You prolly agree? Is that like.... can you borrow me some money?

Buckeye1 01/09/2008 09:36 AM

Text messaging has been the death of high school english. You'd be amazed at how many students try to turn in papers to me with words like cuz(because) and u(you).

cl2ysta1 01/09/2008 09:59 AM

yeah between text messaging and IM. its quicker to type in short english!

Hey what r u doing tmr?

cl2ysta1 01/09/2008 10:00 AM

Ive had to watch myself when writing papers b/c word doesnt always pick up the short type you put in. looks real stupid when someone else is reading it and you have a million mistakes

icu2 01/09/2008 10:04 AM

Don't forget IDK!!!

I get irritated when I see that.

Buckeye1 01/09/2008 10:39 AM

My wife(also a teacher) had a 7th grader turn in an assignment this week with the word peepal instead of people written on it. That was good for a laugh!

Genetics 01/09/2008 11:00 AM

Oh maybe he was thinking of ebay's peepal system...

CWebHokie 01/09/2008 11:05 AM

How about the difference between then and than? That one really irks me. Then shows reference to time and than is comparative. I see these mixed up all over the forum.

Genetics 01/09/2008 11:49 AM

Personally, I think these forums are better then most other webhosted forums.... :D

Sloth 01/09/2008 11:53 AM

I want to know when the words "sell" and "sale" became interchangeable. I want to puke every time I see something "for sell".

And "striped" is always spelled "stripped".

And thread subject lines are always showing posession instead of plural. But only in the subject lines. Ever notice that? "pictures of my zoandthid's". or "Check out my clam's"

waahhhhhh!

Norm R 01/09/2008 12:13 PM

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. :D Most of my favorites are listed above.

porky 01/09/2008 12:24 PM

How about Axe(d) for Ask(ed)? Nothing like Axing your friend...
And Eckspecially is not a word!!!

jh2pizza 01/09/2008 12:50 PM

lol

After I posted my Ballast for sale. I looked at it and thought, you know what, it just doesn't look correct! then I posted it on CORAs site and it hit me what was wrong.

I admit it, I did it.

hollback 01/09/2008 01:01 PM

Hmmm. So that's why no one is interested in my ballast.

walmart 01/09/2008 05:02 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11556802#post11556802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shawnz28 [/i]
[B]here is a good watch [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]
That was funny!

I don't always like to type formally, because I am just lazy sometimes.

lakee911 01/09/2008 06:48 PM

That's an awesome video!

Apercula 01/09/2008 06:59 PM

I find myself typing prolly occasionally and it drives me nuts, because then I have to go back and fix it. I dont even say it that way which makes it even worse.

lakee911 01/09/2008 09:23 PM

I think that "dunno" is popular too. I dunno why either...

itZme 01/10/2008 02:22 AM

[i]Originally posted by itZme[/i]
Oh BTW, my 12 yr old son has a spelling bee Wednesday at 6pm They gave the entire 7th and 8th grades a test with 20 words and the top 20 scorers are in the Bee.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Genetics [/i]
[B]Congrats! I remember those days.[/b][/quote]

Thanks! He got bumped in the 5th round tonight. Out of 20 kids only 12 even showed up. They went 3 rounds without missing a word then started dropping out quickly as the words increased in difficulty. His word was, "precipitate". He got in a hurry and accidentally used an "S" instead of the "C". Oh well, I was glad he even got up there and at least he didn't get bumped on the word "school" like the first kid did :)

My 14 yr old daughter won it for the whole elementary school when she was in 3rd grade but the competition gets more fierce every year.

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11558191#post11558191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sloth [/i]
[B]And "striped" is always spelled "stripped".

And thread subject lines are always showing posession instead of plural. But only in the subject lines. Ever notice that? "pictures of my zoandthid's". or "Check out my clam's"

waahhhhhh! [/B][/QUOTE]

[i]Sloth[/i], that is one of the things that bothers me the most. I see so many people with aquarium's for sale or "frag's" or, on mailboxes, I see where people write "The Smith's" for the plural of Smith. I always think, "OK the Smith's what... mailbox?" Doesn't anyone remember that the apostrophe shows possession?

Does it bother anyone else that an entire ad campaign is built around the improper use of the question "Where are you?". It's Boost mobile and the ad is "Where you at?". Uhhhh, last time I checked we shouldn't add a preposition at the end of a sentence and the "at" is totally unnecessary since the question they are AXing is, "Where are you?" with the "Where" and "are" being made into a contraction. (without the use of an apostrophe I might add)

One last thing to whine about for tonight. How many times do I have to see "Green Slimmer" frags for sale? Slime only has one "M"

:D
-- Kevin