Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   SPS and nutrients? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272534)

McCrary 12/16/2007 12:31 AM

SPS and nutrients?

I was wondering if regular feedings are necessary to keep SPS healthy? I only feed about 1/2 to 1 cube of brine shrimp a week in my 110 gallon tank and run an H&S 200-1260 which takes anything out that it can get its hands on. I also run rowaphos and rowacarbon and do regular water changes. I know that many people use Zeovit for low nutrients, but you also provide amino acids and bacteria to help the coral. So I was wondering if my heavy filtration and low bioload could negatively impact the coral?

flyyyguy 12/16/2007 03:08 AM

IMO that isnt nearly enough nutrients in the water for your corals

if you have a skimmer that works......USE IT.

as well, even if you were feeding a ton, brine shrimp has about zero nutritional value to it as it is

Im pretty sure if you looked into buying better food or making your own food and feeding lots more(increase slowly of course), you would see better colors and happier corals. Not to mention happier fish.

McCrary 12/16/2007 03:23 AM

What kind of food would you recommend that I buy?

DesertBandits 12/16/2007 11:32 AM

True about the brine shrimp; but the ones you buy at the store have been gut-loaded to be full of nutritional value.

Marko9 12/16/2007 12:35 PM

Would you like to only eat once a week? You are starving your fish and corals.

I feed PE MYSIS twice daily after rinsing it well, but I also like seeing my fish eat :)

McCrary 12/16/2007 03:13 PM

Lol, the fish are fine, its the corals I am worried about.

flyyyguy 12/16/2007 03:19 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11396928#post11396928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by McCrary [/i]
[B]Lol, the fish are fine, its the corals I am worried about. [/B][/QUOTE]

fish poo. its whats for dinner

I make my own and feed several times a day on most days, but I just saw this product, "rods food" the other day that is pretty dang close to what I make.

Being as about 1 in 3 batches I make I dont prep soon enough and have to throw some of what I buy away........Im almost considering buying soem of this stuff even if I do have to pay expensive shipping to get it......

anyone use this stuff??

kb27973 12/19/2007 10:13 AM

I've been using it for about 6mo. now. Got it from Premium Aquatics. It's perfect for a guy like me that wants a lot of food variety without the hassle of making it. Contains a lot of stuff so you get some big chunks that the my angels like all the way down to oyster eggs in size. Great food.

Ken

Kip 12/19/2007 10:52 AM

i made my own and a bunch of it (based on borneman's recipe)... when i ran out... i decided to buy Rod's... been using it a few weeks now and the corals/fish like it just as well as my homemade food -- 2 thumbs up for rod's food

personally, i believe in a high input/high output system (which means... feed a lot, but dont let a lot stay in your tank for too long)

Marko9 12/19/2007 11:25 AM

Have you ever tried any of the Reef nutrition products. I use the rotifeast and arctipods. I really like the product and it is a great way to feed the corals. The PE is crazy when I add it.

I also feed cyclopeeze three times a week, usually in the am before the lights come on.

I am also with Kip on this one. Even my friends who run zeo do a lot of feeding. It all depends on the export of what we put in.

Canarygirl 12/19/2007 01:21 PM

What kind of fish do you have and what do they eat when they're between their once-weekly meals? It's hard for me to imagine that they could be fine when that is such a different nutritional regime than what they'd be eating in the ocean.

I believe in feeding a lot and skimming it out (like FlyGuy said). My corals have a lot more coral than some other people's tanks that have lower nutrients than I do. I use Rod's Food, mostly.

kurplunk 12/19/2007 04:03 PM

I second the Reef Nutrition (Rotifeast and acrtipods). No rinsing and my fish and my corals seem to appreciate it. Not to mention my water quality does not suffer.