Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bay Area - Reefers (BAR) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Is the mystery wrasse really that mean? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259404)

nashorn 11/27/2007 04:32 PM

Is the mystery wrasse really that mean?

Thinking about getting one but wondering if it can get along with the rest of my fish.3 wrasses in tank at the time.

budgetyourself 11/27/2007 05:44 PM

My mystery is a very nice fish - it is my 4-line that is the mean one.

Sparkss 11/27/2007 06:01 PM

Don't kid yourself. It is only a matter of time before the mysteri takes out another fish, unless you have a relatvely aggressive tank (or the myteri was one of the last ones to go in). Once they become established you can almost give up on adding any more fairy wrasses, even larger ones are a gamble. Just do a search here on RC for "mystery wrasse kill" and I am sure that you will get more than your fair share of threads about them killing everything from lineatus to radiant wrasses and I think I recalled one that took down a trigger too, but I cannot be 100% sure.

ScarabRa 11/27/2007 07:07 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11266652#post11266652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sparkss [/i]
[B]Don't kid yourself. It is only a matter of time before the mysteri takes out another fish, unless you have a relatvely aggressive tank (or the myteri was one of the last ones to go in). Once they become established you can almost give up on adding any more fairy wrasses, even larger ones are a gamble. Just do a search here on RC for "mystery wrasse kill" and I am sure that you will get more than your fair share of threads about them killing everything from lineatus to radiant wrasses and I think I recalled one that took down a trigger too, but I cannot be 100% sure. [/B][/QUOTE]

what "SEARCH" are you talking bout?

Oh this one...

[QUOTE][i]ReefCentral Search Results[/i]
[B]Sorry. The search function has been temporarily disabled due to high server load. Please try your search again in a few minutes. Other site features will still be functional.

Check out our Premium Membership Program for higher priority access to the search engine as well as other nice features.

Tips & Trivia:
Want a cool Reef Central logo tshirt? You can find a collection of RC logo merchandise by clicking this link. [/B][/QUOTE]

IT Would be nice if the search worked... i got to check out that "Premium Membership Program" deal

delsol650 11/27/2007 07:17 PM

Some can be meaner than a 6line, the bigger it gets and the more established it is any new wrasse or like types will be fair game.

Sparkss 11/28/2007 12:01 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11267087#post11267087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ScarabRa [/i]
[B]what "SEARCH" are you talking bout?

Oh this one...

IT Would be nice if the search worked [/B][/QUOTE]

It just about always works for me (and everyone else with an "I Support RC" logo under their avatar)

Or you can always go the other route and use google to search RC.

Kinetic 11/28/2007 01:56 PM

google to search any site is sometimes even better than the site's search.

SEARCHQUERY site:reefcentral.com

works wonders.

BTW I just did a search:
[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=mystery+wrasse+kill+site%3Areefcentral.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a[/url]

Nothing really came up about the mystery wrasse killing anything off the top of the list. Maybe down below.

Mike in CA 11/28/2007 02:58 PM

Will they kill other wrasses or are will they bully around anything in the tank? What is the extent of their aggression?

kurplunk 11/28/2007 04:38 PM

I've have both a large mystery and and a Leopard wrasse that have been doing fine in the same tank for over a year. Given both were added at around the same time, and the mystery was close in size when added.

neyugn0w01 11/28/2007 05:14 PM

To answer your question, yes they are aggressive. However you can get aways with placing other wrasse safely in the tank. Just make sure the new wrasse is acclimated and eating before you think about placing it in the tank together with the mystery.

What I did was place my new wrasse in a net box, inside the main tank for 2 days while the mystery is swimming outside. Make sure to feed the new wrasse. Once I release the new wrasse, the mystery wrass would chase the new wrasse around for about 5 minutes. After that, no more chasing and they are both living peacefully. By the way, this is in a 65 gallon tank with 3 other fish. Good Luck

I can't say the same for shrimps.

nashorn 11/29/2007 02:46 AM

looks like a 6line is just as bad. is this true with 8line too?

delsol650 11/29/2007 08:29 AM

Me personally, I just don't trust that genus anymore or similar type fish. mystery, 4line, 6line, 8 line yadayada

maxdout 11/29/2007 12:11 PM

i've lost at least 6 fishes due to my mystery wrasse. My kid even caught him red handed chasing and chomping on a smaller fish. i just can't get rid of the fish though, he's so purdy ;)

waxy 11/29/2007 08:04 PM

Just throw him in the tank last, mine already ate 5 cleaner shrimps the size of him. Leaving nothing but the body, the head was no where to be found.

neyugn0w01 11/29/2007 08:07 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11281881#post11281881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waxy [/i]
[B]Just throw him in the tank last, mine already ate 5 cleaner shrimps the size of him. Leaving nothing but the body, the head was no where to be found. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't you just love that. I find that overfeeding the mystery helps keep the shrimp alive a few extra days.

delsol650 11/30/2007 08:25 AM

I had to move mine, to be able to keep Lineatus wrasses.

hatfielj 12/08/2007 12:31 PM

Mine will kill any new wrasse I try to put in the tank. They are VERY aggressive towards new wrasses, but pay no attention to current inhabitants of the tank.

Psionicdragon 12/08/2007 09:08 PM

killed my cleaners :(

nashorn 12/09/2007 02:48 AM

Guess I won't get one since I like my cleaners

waxy 12/11/2007 07:08 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11345939#post11345939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nashorn [/i]
[B]Guess I won't get one since I like my cleaners [/B][/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!

Want to buy mine? Hes really big now, since ive had him at 2.5" He measures 4-4.5" I ll trade him for a 1-2" Hes very friendly, just eats what he can when hes hungry. Eats pellets, sometimes seaweed... I dont know why... and his main diet Brine Shrimp. My sohal and royal punk him around a lot.

What say you?

Ive been wanting to get rid of him and getting a smaller one. After eating the shrimp hes grown since.

Im not sure if this is accurate or not, but I feel that the wrasse is eating away me cleaners too.

Can anyone confirm this? My snail population has drastically dropped. A few weeks ago, when I go downstairs at night I would see my tank covered with snails, now I just see the wrasse patrolling corner to corner for a fine meal.

delsol650 12/11/2007 07:14 PM

wouldn't put it past him... you can go to Taraval, they have small mysterys for sale starting at $100.. and just trade them.. plus might get some $$$$ for it ???

waxy 12/11/2007 07:18 PM

You think they will let me trade my large one in for a smaller one? As I am sure the smaller ones will not eat my cleaner shrimps, especially when the wrasse is being introduced like a newborn.

waxy 12/11/2007 07:19 PM

Where is this Taraval you speak of? Store? Individual? Im confuse! :x

delsol650 12/11/2007 07:23 PM

Store... I've gotten my previous mystery from them, I was just there yesterday.. they have 2 or so... they also have a pair of Rhomboid, Lineatus, and a couple of nice wrasses... its name was tropical XXXXXXX can't remember the full name..

waxy 12/14/2007 04:04 AM

Where is it located? And wow, a Rhomboid Wrasse I will have to sacrifice a car payment to buy one of those.

How much were those rhomboids there?

Will it fight with the mystery you think? I am totally sure it will.

$499 best price I have seen on a rhomboid.

Maybe I should get one of those instead of a mystery.