Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Majestic Angle?? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275936)

tony varrell 12/20/2007 05:34 PM

Majestic Angle??

Anyone keep a Juvinile majestic in a reef with sps (3" long). I would like to get one to add with my pair og Regals and Joculator. I will only do it if the risk is minimal but to coral and fish. I would like to hear from some Angel fish experts out there. Thanks..

EdKruzel 12/20/2007 07:23 PM

I've found the Majestic or Navarchus to be great in a reef with the exception of larger LPS such as an open brain or Cynarina. They're quite efficient at eradicating Aptasia as well.

tony varrell 12/21/2007 10:15 AM

Come on people. Any Experience keeping Regals and Majestic's together in the same system. My system is a 150 reef. There is a pair of regals and a joculatror co existing together. Angle experts please comment...

jmaneyapanda 12/21/2007 11:48 AM

Here is my advice- you probably wont like it, though. You have too many angels in a 150 already. I say definitely do not do it. Somethings gonna die if you do.

cthetoy 12/24/2007 05:37 PM

This month's Tank of the Month has a Majestic in his reef

Laddy 12/24/2007 06:30 PM

I guess that all depends on what you consider to be an expert on angel fish, or SPS, husbandry. I know there are a lot of people out there with elegant systems which could support what you are asking about; they are the exception and not the rule. Most people who keeps these fish have a lot of first hand knowledge, coupled with stable systems they have perfected over time. I am not such a person.

If you have two Regals and a Joculator that are cohabitating in a 150 I would only consider myself lucky--if that was my system. It sounds like to me that you are on the upper thresholds of your system (without knowing the complexity of your setup).

reef_doug 12/25/2007 01:50 PM

I had a 3.5" Majestic Angel and it was difficult to get him to eat, he passed after a couple weeks.

I now have a 6" Majestic and he is doing great for 6 wks so far!

Make sure to get one that has been in a store for awhile and eating pellets. You might have better luck with a 5-6" size. Mine has not touched tridacnas, SPS, torch, hammerheads or mushrooms, at least not yet. I do not have any open brains.

Majestics are less aggressive than other large angels and should be limited to one large angel per 150g - 220g. I do have him with 1 large Purple Tang, 2 medium Yellow Tangs and he is large enough to not be picked upon.

Large angels generally are safer for SPS tanks than dwarfs, but clams can be at risk. I had to trade in a Coral Beauty due to nipping SPS.

Awesome fish, my favorite!

BIGSKY 12/25/2007 02:12 PM

I have got a juvenile that is changing right now. he eats just about anything , has not bothered anything as for clams,lps or anemone's