Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Invertebrates (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   crabs wanted (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028304)

LeslieH 01/25/2007 03:14 PM

crabs wanted

Hi everyone --

Want to get rid of your pesky crabs? Why not donate them to science instead of freezing or flushing them? There are some people here at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County that are doing a genetic research project on crabs. They need freshly preserved specimens in 95% alcohol so you can send them either live or in alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is best, rubbing alcohol from the drugstore is okay, so is white rum or vodka as long as it's 150 proof or higher (and you get to drink the rest, win-win!). Along with the crab we absolutely need to know where it came from: Bali rock, Fiji rock, Florida rock, etc. If we don't have locality we can't identify them; if we can't identify them we can't use them.

To preserve a crab just throw it into a container filled with alcohol. Leave it in overnight to make sure the body tissues are saturated with alcohol. Take it out & wrap it in a paper towel soaked with alcohol. Triple bag it in ziplocks or baggies so the towel doesn't dry out & there's no leakage during shipping (if you can heat seal the plastic that's even better). Place the bag into a crush-proof container. It can be shipped 1st class or overnight. Sorry, we can't pay postage - we might go bankrupt if we got a lot & had to pay for them all! - but it's tax deductible.

Send them to me here at the museum:
Leslie Harris
Collection Manager, Polychaetes
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
900 Exposition Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007

Many thanks, Leslie

rabidcrab 01/28/2007 06:12 PM

if only i read this before..
i had two huge white emerald crab looking things...
i got over them pinching my mushrooms and anemones so i fed them to my big fish tank..

eastcoastzigzag 01/30/2007 02:37 PM

want him?

[url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031407[/url]

LeslieH 01/30/2007 04:40 PM

Yes that would be great as long as you know where the crab came from. The people doing the study need to know the geographic region (Bali rock, Florida, Fiji, etc) so they can identify it.
Many thanks, Leslie

eastcoastzigzag 01/30/2007 07:44 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9116071#post9116071 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH [/i]
[B]Yes that would be great as long as you know where the crab came from. The people doing the study need to know the geographic region (Bali rock, Florida, Fiji, etc) so they can identify it.
Many thanks, Leslie [/B][/QUOTE]

----i got no clue. it was a hitcher on live rock. i think kupang and i think that is from phillipines area?

LeslieH 01/30/2007 08:50 PM

Philippines is good enough. We'd be happy to take it. PM me if you have any questions about preserving or shipping.
Thanks!

eastcoastzigzag 01/30/2007 09:02 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9118345#post9118345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH [/i]
[B]Philippines is good enough. We'd be happy to take it. PM me if you have any questions about preserving or shipping.
Thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

$14 for priority shipping with a heat pack. let me know

graveyardworm 01/31/2007 02:01 PM

Quote from Leslies first post

[quote]To preserve a crab just throw it into a container filled with alcohol. Leave it in overnight to make sure the body tissues are saturated with alcohol. Take it out & wrap it in a paper towel soaked with alcohol. Triple bag it in ziplocks or baggies so the towel doesn't dry out & there's no leakage during shipping (if you can heat seal the plastic that's even better). Place the bag into a crush-proof container. It can be shipped 1st class or overnight. Sorry, we can't pay postage - we might go bankrupt if we got a lot & had to pay for them all! - but it's tax deductible.[/quote]

Doesnt sound like they're looking for live specimens, so a heat pack shouldnt be necessary. Priority would probably be nice, but I'll let Leslie weigh in on that.

LeslieH 01/31/2007 03:14 PM

Dead animals preserved & packed the way I described are much easier & less expensive to send. The crab guys don't have a budget for shipping and since I'm just helping on the side I don't either, sorry. You'd be listed & thanked in the acknowledgements of the resulting paper if they use your crab.

eastcoastzigzag 01/31/2007 10:09 PM

opps! ill read next time i promiseeeeee

ok im a huge believer in science so hes all urs. soon as i remember to buy some alcohol, im a college student, i have reef tanks but no alcohol. although im sure tequila would work:rollface:

thanks r cool but is there any way i could get a copy of the finished paper? id be very interested to read it. email would be fine.

Ryanqk 02/01/2007 11:53 AM

use rubbing alcohol if you cant buy liqour, then you wont waste potable alcohol....

LeslieH 02/01/2007 12:20 PM

For a small crab all you need is an ounce or two of alcohol (= 1-2 shots). Rubbing alcohol, Everclear, any 150 or higher proof drinkable CLEAR alcohol (white rum, vodka, gin) will do.

Paper won't be out for several years. When you send the crab include your name, address, & email so the guys can send you a reprint or a pdf when it finally gets published.

Thanks, Leslie

eastcoastzigzag 02/01/2007 12:34 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9132426#post9132426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH [/i]
[B]For a small crab all you need is an ounce or two of alcohol (= 1-2 shots). Rubbing alcohol, Everclear, any 150 or higher proof drinkable CLEAR alcohol (white rum, vodka, gin) will do.

Paper won't be out for several years. When you send the crab include your name, address, & email so the guys can send you a reprint or a pdf when it finally gets published.

Thanks, Leslie [/B][/QUOTE]

-----yeah ill get some rubbing alcohol this weekend. no hurry on the report, it will be cool to read though.

purplehaze 02/03/2007 08:36 PM

Any specific species or genus you are looking for?

LeslieH 02/06/2007 03:59 PM

Nope. I think the researchers can easily get enough american or european ones but material from other regions would be useful.

Ooulophilia 02/12/2007 06:10 AM

I just came across this thread, it is shame in a few ways, I had a big shame-face crab for a while, and I recently ate him, as I had no room for him. I have another one that is about fist size, and still alive - he came from tonga. Interested?

eastcoastzigzag 02/12/2007 09:29 AM

yeahhhh my crab got a owner. my friend thought he was "cute" and adopted him. good luck with your research

sublime-1 05/16/2007 10:17 AM

couldn't pass up the opportunity to laugh at "crabs wanted".

giggle

UntamedBreez 06/26/2007 10:55 AM

What kind of research are they doing??

rabidcrab 06/26/2007 11:40 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9219633#post9219633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ooulophilia [/i]
[B]I just came across this thread, it is shame in a few ways, I had a big shame-face crab for a while, and I recently ate him, as I had no room for him. I have another one that is about fist size, and still alive - he came from tonga. Interested? [/B][/QUOTE]

PET EATER!!!!

yellowslayer13 08/16/2007 10:51 PM

I know a guy that got a small spiney from baja california while fishing and 5 years later they were one short for new years dinner and he pulled it out of his tank and right in to the steamer yumyum

starfish9 08/20/2007 10:42 PM

i've got a gorilla crab, you can have him if I can catch him. It hasn't been going well...any suggestions? He won't come out of his little hiding spot.

Sweetp 08/21/2007 02:16 AM

the way we got ours out was by taking out the rock he was in and poking him out with a stick into a bucket LOL

SuperNerd 09/03/2007 01:43 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9098583#post9098583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rabidcrab [/i]
[B]if only i read this before..[/B][/QUOTE]

Man no kidding!
I put what I thought was a little lobo eating crab into the fuge about 4 days ago.

sps_addict 11/19/2007 02:24 PM

still looking for crabs? if so i can send a few