Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Any good advice for taking care of a blue sponge? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181313)

TOURKID 08/11/2007 06:31 PM

my maroon dident like its spot so she bit off a few chunks until it floated to a different spot. so i have the chunks low and the big piece high up in high flow

TOURKID 08/15/2007 07:00 PM

well both the chunks of bitten off sponge as well as the large piece have attached themselves to rock. neither of them are losing color (chunks at bottom big piece at the top)

but the piece up top seems to be growing an algea coating... If i cant resolve it ill need to get it into higher flow..

johara 09/27/2007 11:58 AM

any update on which blue sponge locations worked best?

TOURKID 09/27/2007 01:06 PM

not really! The maroon bit off a few more pieces so its actually all over the place now.

the one closest to the light (at the top of the tank) has some brown algea on it.

the one at the very bottom near the sand looks the same as the one on top, just no algea. colors are still brite and they look great!

johara 09/27/2007 01:10 PM

Thanks for the update - I had avoided blue sponges after one died many (10+) years ago. Think I'll try again. I have a pair of maroons that aquascape as well - I may end up with a multi-location blue sponge experiment too.

TOURKID 09/27/2007 01:13 PM

lol yeah mine is pretty darn picky. I just moved so shes been tossing coral all over the place.

Def try another blue sponge! I know there are diff varaitys, but the one I have is def photosynthetic

Genetics 09/27/2007 06:57 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10854730#post10854730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID [/i]
[B]lI know there are diff varaitys, but the one I have is def photosynthetic [/B][/QUOTE]

So far that has yet to be proven scientifically unless I missed the one in the dark melting away?

TOURKID 09/27/2007 07:26 PM

genetics... hmmm.... well, i do have a few pieces that floated behind the rockwork and died.... but then agian.. i have a tiny little piece stuck to the bottom of a frag plug (mostly in the dark since the plug is in the sand) and its alive too :)

Genetics 09/27/2007 09:37 PM

haha I'm difficult like that. Everyone has stated that it is photosynthetic. It might be but how much light it may/or may not need has yet to be determined.

TOURKID 12/12/2007 10:19 AM

Hows everyones sponges doing??

I have them literally all over because of my clown.

just wanted to update.. the one at the very top of the tank in highest light and the one in the bottom of the tank (inch from sand) are both doing great. and exactly the same. very vibrant color. they grow but not to much. mostly connected itself more to the rock

the ones that are in complete darkness are still alive too.

these ones are the tiny pieces that floated away.

they are much paler, but still blue. the one in the darkest spot (size of a dime but fatter) is growing one long skinny worm like piece off into no where. I think its looking for light.

I feed DT's or snow whenever I remember whitch is usually 2 times a week

uztaryn 12/12/2007 02:02 PM

I have the purple and the blue in various different locations throughout the tank. they are all doing well. I feed heavily since I have such a large bio load.

Flake 3 times a day and about a 16oz Solo cup filled half way with water and the rest with mysis, brine, cyclpeze, krill, muscles, DT's and artic pods about every other day.

Kreeger1 12/12/2007 02:04 PM

I have this sponge also from Serdar, Its under a 250 double ended MH that is on for 4 hours a day, probably 6 -8 inches from the water surface. I almost bleached out do to air exposure, but its all coming back and growing well now.
From my observation it likes light, or its not bothered by light at all
Erik