Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Disease Treatment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785228)

cacunacacuna 07/11/2006 10:44 AM

Reading posts like this is the reason I frequent Reef Central. Thanks for the well thought out info Leebca. I'm now considering new feeding options for the health of my fish. Have a great one!

JownsenJesus 07/19/2006 11:33 AM

Awesome info. Deserves to be at the top of the forum!!

devildij 09/08/2006 04:14 PM

hey i know that i am kind outta time for this one but lee how do you make the gel

fdnyhm1 09/28/2006 12:41 PM

New Food on the market

Hi
I was having problems with ick with my fish and I was told about a new food out on the market. It is made my a company called Blue Lagoon. They make a regular food loader with vitamins, an anti parasite and an anti bacterial food, plus liquid vitamin supplement. I can't rave enough about the improvement that I have seen in my fish since I have been using their products.

You have to try it to see the difference, you won't regret it.

[url]http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=OSI[/url]

FishyPam 10/02/2006 07:25 AM

I agree as spirulina does help when it comes to coloration for fish... I got my from a store that I was trying to shill here.

yrema 11/09/2006 09:25 PM

great discussion here. a very good read indeed. :)

traveler911 03/31/2007 07:12 AM

Thanks for all the added insight.

StephM33 04/07/2007 04:53 PM

Really great thread, I'll definitely bookmark this one, but I do have a question. How can we balance the feeding requirements of a mix of herb/omni and carnivores in one tank?

We have to try and get the Tangs/Foxface to eat more veggies and less meat. But we also have to have meat eaters in there too. Does this mean if we feed veggies for breakfast and lunch, that our meat eaters have to settle for one evening feeding? In the past we've been feeding meat and veggies in every meal, but it does seem that the Tangs and foxface are opting for the meat first.

We always have veggies (broccoli or romaine) available as well, as they won't eat Nori.

How do others handle this?

Steph

wooden_reefer 07/02/2007 09:35 PM

Nutrition is certainly important against most disease. The best examples are the internal bacterial and fungal diseases.

However, I also think that the role of proper nutrition should not be exaggerated. The inexperienced aquarists should not be duped into believing that good nutrition is the answer to all diseases A to Z.

I think ich and Odinium have little to do with nutrition. The relation of these disease with stress in general is also problematic, and even if prsent, should not be emphazised. This would hopefully promote their eradication by proper quarantine. These are pretty much diseases of physical confinement, unnatural concentration of patheogens.

Some external bacterial infections are also opportunistic. Some even very robust fish with great nutrition and little stress can get external bacterial infection without previous exposure and acquired immunity. De-emphasis with good nutrition is actually better, as it encourages the proper use of UV against external bacterial infection, especially during acclimation. These are also diseases of physical confinement, unnatural concetration of patheogens.

Ace1 07/10/2007 01:08 AM

Has anyone tried feeding there fish Dulse and Nori, from my understanding Dulse (red marine alge) stops viruses from replicating in humans and has prooven to stop and prevent many diseases in humans so wouldnt this make a good food supplement for our mairne animals.

Also Irish Moss and Bladderwrack (other red marine agle's) provide every nutrient needed by humans for survival. Wouldnt this be the best choice as i comes from there natural environment.

Im personally not a big fan of vitamins i beleive they are totaly unnecessary and lack nutrition. Fish in the wild dont need vitamins, so if we can provide as close to there natural diet i think we would simplify the regime.

PhillyD123 07/10/2007 02:37 AM

Thank you for simplifying it for everyone and I think You are dead on the money.

PhillyD123 07/10/2007 02:42 AM

as far as vitamins we are doing a miserable attempt at simulating an infininte amount of water (The Oceans) If ever you get the chance get some ocean water and run as many tests on it as possible I think you will find the vitamin/ mineral content a bit overwhelming and eduacational along with hundreds of billions of bacterias compared to what is in our tanks.

laverda 07/10/2007 11:59 AM

StephM
I always feed my tangs their sea veggies first before feeding the other fish. Broccoli or romaine have very little nutrional value. I am surprised they don't like Nori as mine love it, but then they are pigs. Are you using just plain sun dried sea weed? You might try some of the macro algae especially Ogo.
Ace1
Those sound like some good possibilities for feeding our fish. I have never heard of any of the items you mentioned, so I never looked for them. Where do you find them?
I disagree with you on the vitamins, as we do a terrible job of giving the fish the huge variety of food that get in the wild.

Insane Reefer 07/13/2007 03:22 PM

Re: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6819132#post6819132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by leebca [/i]
[B]I've heard enough of this: [i]But my fish likes. . . [or] My fish eats. . .[or] My fish only eats. . .[/i] to suit me for a lifetime. Who's in charge? Would you let your child eat ice cream and cake for every meal just because it's what they like? You have to prevent your fish from getting into wrong habits. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was pointed to this excellent article by another member. Kudos on the write-up :)

I do have to question this quoted statement though.

Most children can be reasoned with - failing that, negative reinforcement can be a great inducement to comply. Instinct won't allow a normal child to starve itself if any food is in the offing, and they are truly hungry. Fish can not be reasoned with. Can't exactly send them to their room without dinner and make them eat it for their next meal. Many fish will literally starve to death in the first few weeks if not offered what they think they want. You can put all the correct foods in the tank that you want, but if the fish refuses to take them, I'd say he is still the boss - right up to the point that he dies of starvation.

I understand that improper diet is a bad thing, and often leads to a slower starvation, but you need to follow this statement up with [i]how[/i] to get this fish to eat what he [i]should[/i] when he [i]won't[/i], not just stating that we need to prevent it and leaving it at that...

[quote][b]But if I grate my gel formula to look like worms, they charge it.
[/quote][/b]

Several people have posted, asking how this is made - could you please respond?

Thanks!

ginger7286 09/15/2007 08:51 PM

Excellent article I add a supplement to my tank everyday. I also feed my fish and inverts a variety of foods but I am about to get up to read the ingredients in the cans and bottles. Thanks so much.

pmjfuture 10/07/2007 12:59 AM

wow. thanks for info.

Questionmarc 11/13/2007 03:44 AM

yea whats the best food?

capn_hylinur 11/13/2007 08:25 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11172417#post11172417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Questionmarc [/i]
[B]yea whats the best food? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that questioned was answered in the very first post on this thread-----but thanks for re asking it---I had lost track of this thread---so now I can keep track of it again.:smokin:

lj1064 12/28/2007 03:58 PM

What about adding cod liver oil to the soak mix? Very high in vit D