Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   somewhere between 75-100 new tank mates! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153078)

slowradio 06/30/2007 12:44 PM

somewhere between 75-100 new tank mates!

as i walked pass the tank on my way out the door at about 4:15 this morning, i noticed that the front glass had little white specks all over it, each one of them shining under the moon lights. upon closer inspection i was elated to find about 75 tiny little snails crawling all over the glass! this is the first spawning of any sort that my tank has had, so i'm pretty pumped.

will these little guys make it? do i need to do anything special to ensure their survival, other than give them away when they're big enough?

i'll try to take pics sometime soon, but they aren't out during the day so i don't know if i'll get any quality shots.

cigars on me today!:bum:

kirstenk 06/30/2007 12:50 PM

Congrats. Many will survive. Let your glass get a 'lil dirty so they have plenty to eat. :)

Kentanner11 06/30/2007 12:52 PM

LOL! Hey I had snails in my FW tank, thought it was a good thing, untill I had atleast 500 snails. the didnt get very big about the size of a drop of water, some got bigger but not by much. Some of them might make it, but some wont! This is a good thing untill you start having millions of snails!

jenn_jeffery 06/30/2007 12:55 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10246950#post10246950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11 [/i]
[B]LOL! Hey I had snails in my FW tank, thought it was a good thing, untill I had atleast 500 snails. the didnt get very big about the size of a drop of water, some got bigger but not by much. Some of them might make it, but some wont! This is a good thing untill you start having millions of snails! [/B][/QUOTE]

Saltwater snails aren't as...prolific...as freshwater ones. Very few types of saltwater snails reproduce easily in captivity.

And, Congrats Brett!! What type, any idea yet?

slowradio 06/30/2007 01:02 PM

at this point i believe the are astrea snails (just going by the odds), but the jury is still out on that. we'll give it a week or two and then see.

kirstenk 06/30/2007 01:26 PM

My guess is stometella.

slowradio 06/30/2007 01:42 PM

to my knowledge, i've never put a stometella snail into my tank. that doesn't mean that a couple didn't get in there under false id., or as hitchhikers at some point along the way. from what i recall, i have astrea, cerith, and nessarius(sp.?) snails.

are there any tips for getting an i.d. on these guys?

Kentanner11 06/30/2007 01:50 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10246962#post10246962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenn_jeffery [/i]
[B]Saltwater snails aren't as...prolific...as freshwater ones. Very few types of saltwater snails reproduce easily in captivity.

And, Congrats Brett!! What type, any idea yet? [/B][/QUOTE]

Didnt know that!
:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: Congrats!!!:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Blakethebug 06/30/2007 02:08 PM

i wish i could get mine to hatch and mature but my desjardinii tang loves to eat them! oh well at least he is happy lol!

OceanLyons 06/30/2007 03:44 PM

I had a problem with freashwater snails. Then I bought some clown loaches. Dinnertime! No more snail issues.

Congrats on your wanted babies. :)

hondadude2k5 06/30/2007 04:19 PM

My snails are constantly reproducing. I got to bed and an hour later the glass is crawling with them. Little white ones with brickish colored spots.

oct2274 06/30/2007 05:32 PM

my purple banded trochus snails breed quite often, I have alot of babies in my fuge and they grow pretty fast.

TheScubaManiac 06/30/2007 10:54 PM

Odd coincidence?

The same thing happened in Andrew's tank Thursday night. They look like tiny round snail like things but mine look like they might have tiny "feathers" of some sort, could it be the same thing? Could it be seasonal??

Frizz 06/30/2007 11:41 PM

Cool!!
My snails lay eggs on a regular basis but as far as I can tell none have hatched. Sometimes they do this mass egg laying all the same night. Maybe there is hope that they may hatch one of these times.
Frizz

army67romeo 07/01/2007 01:13 AM

my snails have babys about every 2 weeks or so after about a year every time i pick up a rock or a frag a few baby snails fall off i started looking at my tank very very closely and there is tons of baby snails every where is great but my herits eat a few i have seen

azrednex 07/01/2007 11:44 AM

You guys are probably looking at colonista snails they look like tiny turbos but they stay small.

Pyrrhus 07/01/2007 07:40 PM

Re: Odd coincidence?

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10249543#post10249543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheScubaManiac [/i]
[B]The same thing happened in Andrew's tank Thursday night. They look like tiny round snail like things but mine look like they might have tiny "feathers" of some sort, could it be the same thing? Could it be seasonal?? [/B][/QUOTE]

Those are spirorbid worms.